Options

Study At Work?

2»

Comments

• Options
    laclac Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have absolutely no time study at work. We're constantly busy, one project after another. It does make the day go by fast though and it's never boring! I usually just study during my lunch break or after work...
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I have never been able to successfully study at work. When studying for CISSP I did make some attempts. But as usual I would be disturbed by an email, phone call, or some random employee walking up to my desk.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thall860 wrote: »
    I am just moved into a position at work where I am allowed the chance to study! This is great for me because like many of the other threads I have read, I also have no home time to study.

My wonder is this, how does everyone who is able to study at work dedicate to it? I am usually distracted by something or have a project going.

Do you set aside time each day, or just be really dedicated to here and there.

Make the most of study on workstime if you can get it. I have no opportunity to do the same as matters are always pressing in the office. Studying at work takes the pressure off at home where long periods of study can take you away from family and cause tension. Difficult to engage in family life and give your wife a break when you are ensconced in a room on a 4 hour rack session.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends what you mean by study. I taught myself C# this year so I could improve a process for some clients. That was done partly in work time, and although it was not for a Certification there was both an element of self learning and working for the clients. So yes I will some times spend time during the day learning things for the current projects I am working on. If i need to carry out a task I havent done for a while I might grab the CBT nugget for it an sit for 40min watching it to recap.

But only on the very rare occasions when work has gone flat. (such as today when all clients are shut down for holidays) then if there really is nothing else to do i Might again read up on a topic for me certs.

But in general Work time is for working and I don't put any time aside at work to study for anything that is not specific to the current tasks I am working on. Home is the time for that, not phone calls, no emails, no meetings, to interrupted me (and wife knows better than to do that).
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    saspro wrote: »
    I've got my full lab set up at work in the corner of the office. If we're not really busy at work then the entire team are free to study whatever they like.
    On a good day we can get 6 hours of studying each.

Same here. As long as the calls are taken care of and the regular tasks are done, we are free to study. On Christmas eve, I spent 7 hours setting up Federation Services and RMS on my test lab.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My job is a Datacenter / NOC / Engineering / Level 2-3 Helpdesk Gig (I work with our analysts, engineers and vendors.. If I have to work with level 1 customers, someone from Helpdesk called in sick. Ugh.)

Progressively more responsibilities... But 3-5 hours of study time each 10 hour shift. It's graveyard. I've been here for awhile. Automated everything. When you get a feel for the flow and how to identify issues, and resolve them, eventually the drag begins to build. Very reactive job... When it's dead, I study. My co workers choose to dick around all night.

I did an 8 hour lab last night... 1/1/2012. I learned more about L3 switching, security switches and how 4 3550's smell after 8 hours than I ever knew before.

*Eye Twitch* I get paid to do this. It's not even a job at this point, its blatant fun.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    sometimes on the late shift i can open a book or watch a video for studying but thats depending if everything is done and having really nothing to do
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I do when I have down time, but it's more for school, and finishing it up early if I can.