Options

Just received and offer to work in Data Assurance. OPINIONS NEEDED PLEASE

FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am a senior IT major at a university. For the past 6 months i have have been interning in the IT department of a law firm. I work mainly alongside the network services team and desktop team. Before my senior year, however i worked in the accounting department of this same law firm for about three years. (it was just a summer job that i was always able to go back to)

However recently i was presented with the opportunity from a larger company to work as Data Assurance Information Technology & Project Assurance I read the job description and it seemed to involve a handful of accounting work which really makes me not want to take the job. However this larger company would pay me far better than the company i am currently interning with.

so here is my question. Does data assurance involve accounting work as well? After researching the topic a bit it also seemed to me as if there was no room for improvement in the field. I hoped that after graduation i would go for my MCSA and CCNET. Would these certifications even be relevant in data assurance?

Thank you for any help

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well the title of the position includes Project Assurance so I am willing to bet that is where the accounting come into play.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I sometimes have to review accounting figures to make sure they are tracking documents properly but never did actual accounting so not sure. I think the title saying "Project Assurance" means you can audit accounting documentation and practices so familiarity with it will be a requirement.
  • Options
    so you work in data assurance? is it still worth getting certifications? Because getting certified is something i really want to do.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take the job and check it out. You might like it. You will probably be reviewing data inconsistences and improving the quality so the analyst can use the data to make wise business decisions. They might have you go through a data mart / data warehouse and report on data and have you clean it up.

Could be a doorway into business intelligence, report writing, SQL, database management, database design, data warehousing.

I think you should take it sounds like a great opportunity.
  • Options
    should i still consider going for my mcsa and ccnet?
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't

It sounds like you have the job so I would just lock on and gain some experience. Wait a ~year and see what knowledge you have accrued.

I have a feeling you will be working with specific tool sets, that's when you will want to start to make a decision on the mastery of technology. You might be dealing with some different data warehouses and reporting toolsets.

Cognos, Business Objects|Crystal Reporting, SAP Netweaver business warehouse, HP has one, SAS, and the list goes on and on.

If you must do a cert because you are antsy and lust knowledge and recognition I would consider

Excel 2010 Mastery Level
    Access 2010 Mastery Level
    MS SQL Certifications (There are several)
    Visual Basic MS Certification

I like this one too COBiT http://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/COBIT/Pages/Overview.aspx

But I would just wait and see and then make a decision. The MCSA and CCENT won't do you much good and the MCSA is an artifact anyway.
  • Options
    see the problem that i am facing is that i have always been interested in working on the server/networking side of things. and i mean if i do take the job and end up not liking it i may be kinda screwed.
  • Options
    pruspeter wrote: »
    see the problem that i am facing is that i have always been interested in working on the server/networking side of things. and i mean if i do take the job and end up not liking it i may be kinda screwed.

You have to make the decision ultimately, but I think you should at least take the position and give it a fair chance. You never know, you might be able to show your stuff and leverage your hard work and knowledge into one of those areas.