Options

Passed ICND2

studyguy1studyguy1 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed ICND1 a few weeks ago and barely passed ICND2 earlier today. The only materials I used were books because that was the cheapest way to study. I just wrote the commands down until I felt like I understood everything. I did have a free trial sim from one of the CDs in the back of the book but that didn't help me a lot. I think if I would have had a lab I would have done a lot better. Unfortunately, I still don't have a job but I am going to start applying to a bunch of places again now that I have passed this certification. I am thinking about going for the CCNA Security now. What do you guys think I should go for? Just so you know, I have studied for CompTIA's Security+ and am virtually 100% sure I would pass it if I took the test but I feel like with the economy the way it is and the way my job search has gone so far, I don't feel like an entry level certification is going to get me a job so that's why I'm thinking about going straight for CCNA Security.

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    What about using packet tracer or gsn 3 ?

gsn3 GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator

CBT Nuggets GSN3 video
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/standalone?video=/freevideo/csco_642_902_02.mp4

I'd do the Security+ exam and ccna security and get experience even if you have to do some crap hours or even volunteer. Get your foot in the door with a company then you can look at what other certs you need then.

I should be safe work wise for the next six months( electronics r&d ) but my trick when looking for work is to advertise the fact I'm happy to work weekends and night shifts (plus here they pay a good bit better).
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Congrats on the pass man!
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations on becoming CCNA Certified!

Keep going!
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    studyguy1 wrote: »
    Passed ICND1 a few weeks ago and barely passed ICND2 earlier today. The only materials I used were books because that was the cheapest way to study. I just wrote the commands down until I felt like I understood everything. I did have a free trial sim from one of the CDs in the back of the book but that didn't help me a lot. I think if I would have had a lab I would have done a lot better. Unfortunately, I still don't have a job but I am going to start applying to a bunch of places again now that I have passed this certification. I am thinking about going for the CCNA Security now. What do you guys think I should go for? Just so you know, I have studied for CompTIA's Security+ and am virtually 100% sure I would pass it if I took the test but I feel like with the economy the way it is and the way my job search has gone so far, I don't feel like an entry level certification is going to get me a job so that's why I'm thinking about going straight for CCNA Security.

Congrats.

Forget CCNA-Security. Go for CCIE.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I think NOC-Ninja meant CCNP. Although you could go from CCNA to CCIE, I'm not sure that would be worthwhile for you. You'll be more marketable, but having a CCIE with no experience is kind of a red flag. It may help you find entry/jr level position, but with the amount of time you would have to put in for the CCIE, it's probably not what you need at this point.