Options

Decided to continue my Cisco Studies

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
So after graduating WGU in August I took a long break from any type of learning. I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Then few weeks ago I had the chance to set up a very expensive Cisco set up and I got to finally use a lot of the things I learned with my CCNA training. Now I just want more, I want to play with anything with networking. I have really no work experience in networking which has it made it extremely hard to get even an interview for a networking type job. Having the CCNP isn't going to change anything really, I'll still be a "paper" CCNP. But, I will be able to understand more and be more confident in interviews. If I really had the money I would just go for CCIE as I have the time just not the $10k to $20k a CCIE would cost.

Anyways... I'm going to read up on all the post in here and get a better idea of where to start. I looked at the CBT nuggets this morning and they want $199 for 1 month of use or $350 for the set. Next week I'm going to order the library set to get started then go from there. Any last advice before I just off the cliff?
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    being a paper ccnp is better than a paper ccna which is all ill be as im in a similar boat. to be honest, when you get into the ccnp study you'll realise how much a ccna doesnt know :P. ccnp gets you into the meat of what networking is IMO. and there is no point going for ccie, A because you need your ccnp and B well time is knowledge you need years of letting the concepts to mature in your mind at a ccnp level and then slowly build up to ccip etc. i think most people who get to the stage of considering the ccie have climbed the cisco cert ladder over a number of years and have a networking related job and have no where else to go but ccie.

my advice. just do it. you can spend weeks deciding what your plan is or you could just get your plan started today. Ive learnt that lesson

• Options
    heliuminsideheliuminside Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get the CCNP R&S Foundation Learning Library. I am using it for my CCNP studies so far very impressed. Every topic is deeply expressed and easy to understand for anybody with a CCNA in their pocket and no real world experience. Combine the books with Jeremy's instruction you'll be fine. I would also recommend you using GNS3 for ROUTE studies, do as much labs as possible, make sure you solidify every concept that you read/watch by doing labs as much as possible.

By the way most of the videos from CBT Nuggets CCNP Route series are applied in GNS3, and Jeremy really shows us what an unfolded gem that can save you crap load of money GNS3 is, make sure you don't buy OCGs, believe the book isn't for people with zero experience in the field.
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So after graduating WGU in August I took a long break from any type of learning. I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Then few weeks ago I had the chance to set up a very expensive Cisco set up and I got to finally use a lot of the things I learned with my CCNA training. Now I just want more, I want to play with anything with networking. I have really no work experience in networking which has it made it extremely hard to get even an interview for a networking type job. Having the CCNP isn't going to change anything really, I'll still be a "paper" CCNP. But, I will be able to understand more and be more confident in interviews. If I really had the money I would just go for CCIE as I have the time just not the $10k to $20k a CCIE would cost.

Anyways... I'm going to read up on all the post in here and get a better idea of where to start. I looked at the CBT nuggets this morning and they want $199 for 1 month of use or $350 for the set. Next week I'm going to order the library set to get started then go from there. Any last advice before I just off the cliff?

You should also take a look at INE's monthly all access pass which is 159$.
    Thats what i'm gonna use in january
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    + 1 INE. making my CCNP studies so much smoother. No way I could do it without them.

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    For what it's worth, I have recently seen a bunch of jobs that wanted someone with extensive knowledge of BGP and First Hop Redundancy Protocols which you do not learn in the CCNA material. So, besides having the "paper" CCNP, you will also have some valuable knowledge.
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I have recently seen a bunch of jobs that wanted someone with extensive knowledge of BGP and First Hop Redundancy Protocols which you do not learn in the CCNA material. So, besides having the "paper" CCNP, you will also have some valuable knowledge.

This is so true. A lot of the jobs I see posted that want a CCNA seem to just be using it to weed out people. Even though the job only lists CCNA, what they really want is someone with CCNP level knowledge. The CCNP expands on a lot of things that the CCNA just doesn't cover.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

All I can say is stay busy. That’s the best advice I can give. I wanted to quit studying for awhile, but I’m still studying for the Windows 7 certification. Eventually someone will notice you.

I applied at this company listed below, and got call from them…. it’s Minnetonka, MN applied for the tech support position. I think it would be a good fit for you since you have CCNA, and have a love for networking.
    Network Instruments | Careers
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Thanks. I might have to apply for that. I've been trying to get my own company going and it's been doing good. The CCNP will help greatly as most company's want that before contracting with someone.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013