career starter or school

nms90nms90 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is a bachelors in IT more marketable then a associated degrees in IT with a few certification?

Im really just looking for peoples personal opinions because im tring to decide should i switch majors and just get an associates degree in IT with a few certifications or transfer to a university and get my bachelors in IT or comp science.

Right now im learning towards the associates because of the certifications and plus i can always go back anytime and get my bachelors and alrdy have some type of work experience related in the IT field. Rather then just getting my bachelors and have none at all.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nms90 wrote: »
    Is a bachelors in IT more marketable then a associated degrees in IT with a few certification?
    The short and simple answer is yes. The long answer is no, not at all, followed by a long explanation.

The best answer is somewhere in between: You will, at some point in your career, regret not having a Bachelors degree, and it will probably limit you. How long it takes you to hit that point depends on a lot of different variables, but it will almost certainly happen if you have ambitions of getting to high-level positions in your career track.

On the other hand, having a four-year degree does not in any way qualify or entitle you to even entry-level IT infrastructure positions, unless that degree is from a "career college" (think ITT, Devry, U of P) or a school like WGU. Most traditional university programs in MIS, CompSci, or similar teach you little or no technical skills applicable to IT infrastructure. The irony is that these degrees are better, both in marketability and actual educational value, but generally not until later in your career.

The truth is, you can get into actual IT positions quickly and easily with certifications and technical skill alone. An AS or AAS helps validate and obtain those skills, just like a certification, and the combination is very marketable. This is a faster way to make more money quickly, in most cases. This was the path I took, and I am doing well enough that I would be unreasonable to say that it didn't work extremely well. Still, I'm now looking at spending one or two years, a lot of money, and a lot time to finish my bachelor's at a very limited selection of schools. I don't know that I regret the decisions I made or the path I took, but it would be nice to have gotten that degree out of the way years ago.

Ultimately, no degree or certification is nearly as important as having the actual skill and the ability to market and demonstrate that skill. I've gotten to where I am by focusing on constantly learning about technology and how to work with it and understand it. This, and a well-written resume, good interviewing skills, and good work ethic and quality have led me to success. My certifications and degree were only a small factor.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is my opinion, but I feel that it holds true for all degrees where working doesn't require licensure... start working. Get a job and make sure that you find one that offers tuition reimbursement. You will begin building your experience, which will make the biggest impact throughout your career. Plus, you will get someone else to pay for the remainder of your education. Just continue on with school part-time, if necessary.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    The point about experience is a big one. You can get a degree whenever you want, and no one really cares when you got it. The longer you put off working, the more you delay getting experience.

Just make sure you have a plan for when, where, and how you'll be working on that degree.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »
    This is my opinion, but I feel that it holds true for all degrees where working doesn't require licensure... start working. Get a job and make sure that you find one that offers tuition reimbursement. You will begin building your experience, which will make the biggest impact throughout your career. Plus, you will get someone else to pay for the remainder of your education. Just continue on with school part-time, if necessary.
    I agree here. Single most important thing is to get experience. No one is going to let you touch their important infrastructure with no experience and a degree. You can get an entry level job without a degree and earn your way to increased responsibilities.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Im really just looking for peoples personal opinions because im tring to decide should i switch majors and just get an associates degree in IT with a few certifications or transfer to a university and get my bachelors in IT or comp science.

Right now im learning towards the associates because of the certifications and plus i can always go back anytime and get my bachelors and alrdy have some type of work experience related in the IT field. Rather then just getting my bachelors and have none at all.

My advice

Go to a regional accredited school..NOT a for profit or career college!! You will save yourself a ton of money and you will be able to transfer to other schools. Ask the school before you start..are you regional accredited? If I got a degree here, where could my degree transfer to? Do you have transfer agreements with any schools? Also, look at transfer agreements and see what 4 year college your degree will transfer to.

I saw an article in the Star Tribune(mn paper) that The U of M was tightening down transfer requirements, since they were getting so many transfer students from 2 year colleges.

Get your aas degree look for a job..any job, but try to get a IT job… than worry about your 4 year degree
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

I forgot to add this--

My experience has been the following:
    HR will know that you have degree, which is a plus+

Hiring managers (Most) know about certifications, and some care about them. Also, some could care less. This really depends on the company and organization.

Your experience is what is really going to help you attain a IT job.

I think someone else said this to, so sorry if I'm repeating what has already been said.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Dsmith81Dsmith81 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion I think the Associates degree and the certifications are about the same value. I would go straight for the Bachelors. I know many people say you should get the associates to have a degree and get your foot in the door, but I think most employers would rather see a Bachelors degree, it's just the way our world works.
  • nms90nms90 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies, My plan is to do the A.A.S in IT and while gaining my A++, net+, and sec+ find a entry level it job. Work part time then go get my bachelors in comp-science to get into the higher paying jobs. Even tho i know i can achieve that with my A.a.S and some experience. Once again if others have anything to add feel free.
    what is the average starting salary for an entry level IT and does certification increase your pay or is it experience?
    what is the average starting salary for an entry level IT
    $1,000 to $70,000 /year, depending on where you live, how you define IT, and how you define entry-level.[/QUOTE]
    and does certification increase your pay or is it experience?
    Both will increase your marketability and in turn your leverage in salary negotiations both with current and prospective employers. Just don't expect more money every time you get a cert, because it's generally not that simple.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Pros and cons to both. Both contain some sort of risk. Continue to bachelors and accumulate more debt, any extra money you may make...goes toward paying that off for X amount of years. Having a bachelors with the same experience you have now, does not automatically equate to higher salary at all.

Find work now and if you do, the experience you gain could have you making more money at the time when you would have finished your bachelors.

Experience (and the right experience for a certain employer) usually trumps everything else ultimately. Good luck.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Everything you can get helps! Why limit yourself to just one thing?

Start working towards a 4-year degree, work on some certifications and grab at least a part time, if not full time, job to gain experience. The job will keep you from going into debt and allow you money to take certification exams.

In just 4 short years you will be very, very marketable.
    My IT classes start jan 9 and i plan to get my A+ certification. Is there any reading material or practice exams i can take to prepare myself?