Options

Sec+CE

theshehutheshehu Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm confused by the new system...so I passed now Comptia says I need to write papers and go to seminars to keep my cert? I also have to pay 50.00$ a year?!?! what gives?! If someone could break it down for me that would be great.

Also What should I earn next?
I have security+ thats it..skipped net+ and A+
My advisor is going to have me do project+ and ICND1 and ICND2 then im not sure is this really the best route for computer information Network Security?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forum.

Yes, your certification will expire in three years unless you enroll in the CE program, pay an annual fee of $47 and earn 50 continuing education units (CEUs) over the three year period. You don't have to enroll if you don't want to. Your certification will expire in three years similar to how a CCNA, SSCP, CISSP, or ASE car mechanic certification will expire after a period of time if you don't take further action.

I decided to earn a couple of CE units by writing this blog about the CE units for the Security+ certification here.
    Security+ CE Requirements

Here are a few links that describe the CE requirements.

Overview
    CompTIA Continuing Education Program
    FAQ
    http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx

Activities that earn credits
    http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_activity_chart.sflb.ashx

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    The whole CE program/designation sounds like more headache than it is worth. I can still just retake the Security+ in 3 years to recertify my A+, Network+, and Security+, right? I'd rather just retake the test than pay $140ish and have to jump through hoops.
  • Options
    Agreed it does sound like a headache but i do understand why they do it. Is their a good website to find webinars? or seminars? for sec+ What about courses? any cheap ones? To be honest I have my cert but I dont work in the field yet..so money is tough need some ideas..
  • Options
    All I'm saying is that for about ~$100 more and a bit of refresh time I can just retake the test and recertify. My time has a lot of value to me. I actually work in IT security right now, so a lot of the concepts are in use on a daily basis.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bigmantenor, when you already work in IT security, why would you not be interested in furthering your knowledge of the field via continuing education? I certainly understand that time is valuable, but IMO my time is better served watching webinars, reading book, and furthering my knowledge in the field, than by refreshing definitions and terms for an exam. More usefulness (bang) for my time (buck).
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    If you actually read what I wrote, never once did I say that I am not interested in furthering my knowledge of this field. My definition of furthering my knowledge does not lend itself to CompTIA's CE policies, and thus they are of no use to me. If you feel like your time is being spent wisely by participating in the CE program, more power to you.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I have found several ways to earn CEs for free online. My very favorite, and the one that I honestly learn the most from, is the SANS NewsBytes. There are many articles on there that lead me to many hours of self study. I'm not worried about CEs since I am starting WGU and will get plenty from that alone for my CISSP CEs, much less the CompTIAs.

Study for another cert: SSCP, CISSP, CWNA, CCNA:Sec, etc. Study time counts for my CISSP. I haven't looked closely enough at the CompTIA policies to know if study time counts, but with the other certs and degree, I'm not worried.

I have my A+, Net+, and Sec+ from before the cutoff so if I don't get enough CEs or don't feel like paying for the continuing education program, I still retain the certs. I don't think I will be paying for it again now that I have the CISSP.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you actually read what I wrote, never once did I say that I am not interested in furthering my knowledge of this field. My definition of furthering my knowledge does not lend itself to CompTIA's CE policies, and thus they are of no use to me. If you feel like your time is being spent wisely by participating in the CE program, more power to you.

Well CompTIA's CE policies are pretty much in line with every major security cert vendor's policies, so hey, if you want to retest every three years for every security cert, knock yourself out. I don't think you will find many who feel that the guiding principles and rationale of COMPTIA's CPEs are as pointless as you do.

BTW I meant no offense at all in my first post.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    I have found several ways to earn CEs for free online. My very favorite, and the one that I honestly learn the most from, is the SANS NewsBytes. There are many articles on there that lead me to many hours of self study. I'm not worried about CEs since I am starting WGU and will get plenty from that alone for my CISSP CEs, much less the CompTIAs.

Study for another cert: SSCP, CISSP, CWNA, CCNA:Sec, etc. Study time counts for my CISSP. I haven't looked closely enough at the CompTIA policies to know if study time counts, but with the other certs and degree, I'm not worried.

I have my A+, Net+, and Sec+ from before the cutoff so if I don't get enough CEs or don't feel like paying for the continuing education program, I still retain the certs. I don't think I will be paying for it again now that I have the CISSP.

Thanks I found this information to be very useful!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    theshehu wrote: »
    Agreed it does sound like a headache but i do understand why they do it. Is their a good website to find webinars? or seminars? for sec+ What about courses? any cheap ones? To be honest I have my cert but I dont work in the field yet..so money is tough need some ideas..
    I don't know about any free webinars that would count for CEUs. However, you can combine swild's ideas and do a blog to earn credits for free. There are many free sites (such as blogger.com) where you can start your own blog. Study a security concept using one of the resources swild mentioned, or any other, take the time to put the concept into your own words, and write 500 words on it. I find that when I need to put a concept into my own words, I get a much deeper understanding of it. You can get 20 CEUs this way without spending a dime, while also investing in your future by adding to your knowledge.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day