Options

Moving from Desktop support after many years ??

android123android123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

First time posting on here - just after a bit of advice please.

Been working in IT for many years - current job in desktop support has been for 10 years ( Long time i know ), anyway just recently have decided i want to leave and i dont like certain things that are happening here and the way this job has gone downhill over the years - basically just reimage PCs all the time now,!!!

i did MCSE NT4 years back, and XP MCP few years ago - id really like to get away from desktop support . hopefully try and specialize in one area - say Exchange or sys admin ?
not sure how realistic im being, or looking at the jobs out there whether i would need to take a pay cut

Just updated the CV, intend to start hitting the books again ( Theres a tech library where i work ) just realizing i have been just wasting my time here for ages

what do you think my chances are moving on from here ?? = not as young as i was eithericon_redface.gif

cheers
andy

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello. It is never too late. What versions of Windows do you work with now? I don't know if how much server experience you have but imo it would be in your best interest to look towards doing MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA as these are the server 2008 r2 equivalent to MCSA and MCSE (or close to it). Take a look here:http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspxBeing at the same shop for 10 years has probably boxed you in severely as it pertains to upward mobility there. Have you talked to your boss about doing some server duties? IMO if you can't get any headway there your next step is to try to find a new gig. You already mentioned that you updated you CV, you may want to post it here (with all of the juicy stuff taken out) and let us have a look at it. We are pretty honest and pretty brutal (in a good way). Do you have a degree? I am not sure where you are in the world (although your use of the term CV makes me believe that what I am about to say won't be applicable) but Western Governors University has a decent rep around here because of its unique blended certification/gen ed learning structure. This will allow you to kill two birds with one stone. More on that here:http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu.htmlHave you looked at your local job market? This is going to be the most important piece of the puzzle. What do people who are hiring for the type of gig you want require? Build a check list and start acquiring those skills but don't be afraid to apply for a job you don't feel 100% qualified for. Let them decided how qualified you are. In closing I would like to say set a realistic timeline. This probably won't be able to happen overnight but a few months of hardwork can get your further than you think.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    android123 wrote: »
    Hi

First time posting on here - just after a bit of advice please.

Been working in IT for many years - current job in desktop support has been for 10 years ( Long time i know ), anyway just recently have decided i want to leave and i dont like certain things that are happening here and the way this job has gone downhill over the years - basically just reimage PCs all the time now,!!!

i did MCSE NT4 years back, and XP MCP few years ago - id really like to get away from desktop support . hopefully try and specialize in one area - say Exchange or sys admin ?
    not sure how realistic im being, or looking at the jobs out there whether i would need to take a pay cut

Just updated the CV, intend to start hitting the books again ( Theres a tech library where i work ) just realizing i have been just wasting my time here for ages

what do you think my chances are moving on from here ?? = not as young as i was eithericon_redface.gif

cheers
    andy

Andy 10 years is a lot of time. I would start applying for system admin jobs and other server related jobs. Look for short term projects that deal with the technologies. There is some risk to that strategy, but you can get opportunities otherwise not available. Most of the senior guys on those particular technologies won't take those positions. I knew of a help desk tech who left a "tier 2" help desk job for the likes of an junior exchange admin position, that catch it was only a 4 month contract for a project. I'm not sure what he is doing now, but he was able to get 4 months experience with Exchange.

I would consider doing what bl8ckrouter said an posting your resume. Some of the system admin / exchange guys can help call out job roles and task those positions are looking for. If you touched it you did it so you want to make sure you are capturing the right information.

One last thing when you list your MCP and MCSE, I would keep it very generic and just list MCSE and MCP. There is a good chance they won't ask for what year they are. Don't blow the whistle on yourself, just say yes I have my MCSE etc.

-Good luck
  • Options
    android123android123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks for the details responses - im in the UK, main knowledge has been around Windows 7 / vista and XP OS. As i have a young family im a bit wary of going to another position that may pay less, although i do understand that a short term contract , that gave me some good experience could lead to a better job afterwards. Must admit looking around these last couple of weeks the jobmarket does look a lot different now - a lot of Desktop support roles like mine that pay pretty low, or a more Sys admin type role - but they seem to want so much experience !!
    I will post up my CV - i cant seem to make an attachment ?? imagine i will just need to paste the document into here

thanks
    Andy