Options

Job application question: May we contact your present employer

fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
On the job application and request for background check, the question ask if they can contact my present employer.

Will answering anything other than Yes raise any flags or have any adverse effect on my chance?

Please advise.

thank you.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    fredmoogie wrote: »
    On the job application and request for background check, the question ask if they can contact my present employer.

Will answering anything other than Yes raise any flags or have any adverse effect on my chance?

Please advise.

thank you.

No, it's common that people ask not to contact their current employer. I always answer no to that question.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always ask them not to contact my current employer. They've had to look for a new job before and will understand the need for discretion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    often you can tell the new employer to wait to contact your current employer until after you have left. Although, telling the new place to not contact your current employer at all is acceptable as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I don't even provide a phone number for my current employer, or the name of my current supervisor for that matter. That probably wouldn't be very effective if you work for a small company, just the name would be enough to call and find you. However I've always worked for large companies, and I guess I'm a little paranoid and don't trust people to not contact my current employer even if I don't say it's ok to do so on an application.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    I don't even provide a phone number for my current employer, or the name of my current supervisor for that matter. That probably wouldn't be very effective if you work for a small company, just the name would be enough to call and find you. However I've always worked for large companies, and I guess I'm a little paranoid and don't trust people to not contact my current employer even if I don't say it's ok to do so on an application.

Good mantra. I also live by it. An oversight on a recruiter's end may have serious repercussions on you current job. Better safe than sorry. Besides, many companies won't provide any info at all on current or ex-employees so the whole contact issue eventually becomes pointless.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No way. I also do not include the company name. I have heard of recruiters, upon receiving a CV from someone, call up that person's boss to offer their services in finding a replacement for them!!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone wrote: »

That happened to me at my last position. I had checked the no box for contacting my current employer, but they called anyway.