Options

Returning to the States

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
Hello everyone,

After some long hard planning and talking everything over with my girlfriend, we've decided to come back to the States. As some of you may know, I've spent the last 2-1/2 years in Germany learning the language, studying for my new career in Systems/Network Administration and working in Desktop Support/Systems Administration. It's been a fun ride. I've seen amazing places, met some great people and have changed in ways that I probably can't describe here.

I've hit the point where I'm currently working, that I'm not really learning anymore. I've been doing the same thing for a while now and I don't feel that I'm progressing and my overall satisfaction level has greatly declined. I've had a talk with the boss regarding moving into the NOC team but there so tight on personnel over there that nobody would have any time to mentor me. He really likes my work and told me that I'm in line for a nice Christmas bonus, so my work ethic is has proven itself. The opportunity just doesn't seem to be there.

My girlfriend however just acquired an intern position for 18 months in the Bay Area. This is great news as we've always wanted to live there and for her it's a great opportunity since she's German making it more difficult for her to find work in the States. The position starts in the beginning of March so we still have some time to iron out some details. The pay is pretty low though.

My question and what worries me still is finding work for myself. Turgon recommended in a post a while back that I try to gain as much experience over here for a while maybe finding something networking related and get my CCNA so that I could be very marketable in the States before coming over. After the conversation with my boss and nothing changing, that's looking more and more like an unlikely option to stay here much longer and get anything out of it. I'm going to sit for the CCENT next month and given what's covered in the exam, I could even sit the Network + if necessary.

I've uploaded my resume here a while back and been keeping it up do date as well. It's been sent to 20 different job postings and uploaded to all the major recruiting sites but unfortunately not even one response yet. That's what worries me I guess. Even some Help Desk positions were thrown in there and still no responses. How is the market actually in the Bay Area? Do I have a chance? Is it just because I'm not physically there yet to have interviews? Like I said, we still have a couple months but the time is gonna go fast I would think. Are there other States we should be looking instead? I just figured California would be a great place to find IT work. Even part time or paid intern work would be great.

I guess I'm just looking for some opinions and suggestions from some of the fellow readers here hoping for some help since the decision has been made to come over there. Thanks for reading everyone.
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• Options
    ramosramos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep in mind that these are difficult times everywhere. So you should do everything you can to make your self more marketable, this includes earning as much certificates as possible that relate to jobs you're aiming for.

Also since you've only been away for less than 3 years, i'm assuming you still have some connections? brush up on those, let them know that you are thinking of coming back and that you're looking for a job. May not be in the bay area, but it's a start.

I think the lack of responses is mainly because you are in Germany right now, you're not really accessible. If called for interview is not like you can just pack, jump on a plane like that.

Anyway, i think you're in a good situations. It may not go as fast as you would like it, but i'm sure it will work out well for you. You're in a far better situation than i'm in right now, i just moved to the states, been applying for the last six weeks, not many responses. So keep you're head up.
  • Options
    I unfortunately don't have connections in the Bay Area as I lived in Florida my whole life basically.
    My girlfriend already obtained a position near Berkeley, so that's of course the target area for me as well.
    Obtaining more certs goes without question. Net + and CCENT are options in the near future.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    djfunz wrote: »
    I unfortunately don't have connections in the Bay Area as I lived in Florida my whole life basically.
    My girlfriend already obtained a position near Berkeley, so that's of course the target area for me as well.
    Obtaining more certs goes without question. Net + and CCENT are options in the near future.

I agree with Ramos about why you are getting 0 responses. If you are dead set on moving to California then you might want to change your location on those jobs sites to the specific area you will be living in. I did that two weeks before I moved, (just to get a feel of my options), and it worked out well. As soon as I switched it I started getting hits.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I only have anecdotal evidence, but it feels like the Bay Area tech job market has been picking up quite a bit. My friend just got hired at Facebook, I went to an infosec company some months back, I've had folks from other places ask me if I knew engineers that I could recommend, etc., etc..

That said, your luck will probably depend on what you're applying for and your existing experience. I haven't looked at your resume, but if you have some experience I'd guess that IT jobs are available here. I just got back from BayThreat 2011 and I've been asked at least a couple of times if I knew someone with relevant security experience.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Well, my goal is to get a good entry level networking cert like CCENT and try for a NOC position. $35,000 - $40,000 in the Bay Area for entry level I think is realistic. I've been in Systems Administration / Desktop support for a little over a year and have my A+ so I'm not expecting to much too soon.