Options

Would you wear a suit?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Man, I do love these threads.....they bring a smile to my face. We should have a basketball game.....polos vs. suits! (My money will be on the latter.)

Polos will win because we will purify ourselves in the water of lake minnetonka
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Has it ever occured to you that maybe companies write that stuff PRECISELY because there are some people that will wear a rumpled-old suit to an interview, or wears another that's either too tight, or too big? That maybe these companies want to lull you into a false sense of security thinking it's ok to wear that vendor-swag polo shirt you got in the mail the other day?
    This seems like the wine scene in The Princess Bride.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    vCole wrote: »
    Don't feel like too much of a bum, I don't have a suit either. I don't even have a blazer. I have one black tie and a few nice pairs of slacks and shirts.

No suit for me as well and I'm not even 100% sure what a blazer is. I like to buy a new shirt and dress pants before I start turning in applications...unless I have a pair of pants that still fit my fat a$$.

OP: Shirt, tie and slacks and you will be good to go!
  • Options
    Polos will win because we will purify ourselves in the water of lake minnetonka
    You know where you got that polo from and it wasn't the men's department.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You know where you got that polo from and it wasn't the men's department.

After we win will be sure to make pancakes for everybody.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I've never really worn a suit to an interview either. I usually go in dress pants, dress shoes, shirt and sometimes a tie...but no jacket. Maybe when I get to a point where I'm interviewing for management position, I'll go in a suit.

I wonder if the suit thing has any relationship to your age? I don't know too many people in their 20s who would go interview in a suit
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I've never really worn a suit to an interview either. I usually go in dress pants, dress shoes, shirt and sometimes a tie...but no jacket. Maybe when I get to a point where I'm interviewing for management position, I'll go in a suit.

I wonder if the suit thing has any relationship to your age? I don't know too many people in their 20s who would go interview in a suit

Age may have something to do with it but I think the big thing, as mentioned earlier, is knowing the culture of the company your applying at. I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that if a person shows up for an interview were I work not wearing a suit they will most likely not get a call back.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    If they specifically say that business casual is appropriate for the interview, they mean it. Make sure you are on the dressier end of the business casual spectrum. I'd say wear a tie, well fitting shirt and slacks, and nice dress shoes. However, I don't think you would go wrong with a suit unless they have a certain "culture" that they are trying to hire people from, Like when Steve Jobs rips some invterviewee in a suit to shreds and "Pirates of Silicon Valley."
  • Options
    ramosramos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a situation where you can't afford to take a risks. You want to do everything you can to make the best impression. Try to cover all bases. You don't want to have any regrets afterwards, wondering what if you wore a suit. So yes, i'd definitly wear a suit.
  • Options
    ramos wrote: »
    This is a situation where you can't afford to take a risks. You want to do everything you can to make the best impression. Try to cover all bases. You don't want to have any regrets afterwards, wondering what if you wore a suit. So yes, i'd definitly wear a suit.
    Seems like wearing the suit is the risk here.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just wear what suits your needs. icon_lol.gif I always wear the suit to interview regardless. Good luck deciding.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i have to wear a suit at my job, but I never wear a tie... i have managed to start a trend at work and more folks are ditching the tie, but keeping the suit.

last time i wore a tie was when i was getting an award and I would be photographed....

suit yes, tie no... kind of like business informal.. lol..

for the OP, if I were in your shoes I would were a suit, but no tie. gives the aire of casual, but maintaining a formal approach.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    My friend just went through this EXACT same scenario with a tech company in Portland. He finally decided to go with the Suit and he said exactly 6 co-workers asked him "why you over dressed" and he said the interviewing manager at the start of the interview told him that he didn't have to wear a suit as I stated beforehand.

Everybody was walking around in basketball shorts and flip flops and such and wearing whatever they wanted and he said he felt so out of place. When they said "business casual" they really meant it.

He still got the job and everything went fine, but that was his experience with it all.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    pham0329 wrote: »

It doesn't have anything to do with age in my opinion. I always wear a suit when I interview and I am in my 20s.
  • Options
    hennrizzlerhennrizzler Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It doesn't have anything to do with age in my opinion. I always wear a suit when I interview and I am in my 20s.

Nothing to do with age. I'm in my early 20s and always interview with a suit. It show's you're a professional and you are taking the interview seriously. As sad as it is, first impression does make a difference in how the potential employer will see you and how the interview will go. If you turn up in some rag tag clothes with a hole in the shoe, as brilliant as you are, there will be some concerns about why you appears into an interview dressed like that. Obviously I'm not saying what you wear is the be all and end all of how your interview goes, I'm just saying it definately counts.

Or it could be a trick, like others suggested? You could go in swimwear? Show them that you are really good out of your comfort zone.

On a serious note, I reckon smart casual as others have posted. Shirt, slacks, shoes should be fine as the invitation stressed that suits are optional.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    In case anyone was wondering, I did not go with the suit. I went with the slacks, shirt, and tie. I was more formal than everyone that interviewed me. In fact, everyone that interviewed me had jeans on. The entire atmosphere was very laid back and informal as advertised.

As for the interview itself, it went okay. Thanks to everyone for their best wishes.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Another update in case anyone was wondering, I accepted the job offer. Actually had 2 offers (the other I wore a suit to the interview :)). Definitely feel fortunate to have been able to find "permanent" employment before my contract work came to an end. To those out there still searching, don't give up! Took me about 4 months to get only 2 interviews, and I was lucky to get an offer from both. On another note, the pay sure is lower going from contract work to permanent lol.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Excellent, well done :)