Options

What you did in order to get your CCNA.

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
I just had a couple questions, I plan to study CCNA next year but I'm just wondering how everyone did to prepare.

Here are a couple questions I'm mainly interested in.
    1. Time you spent book reading (I know it's different for everyone, but just wondering anyways)
    2. Did you take a class? If so, how long was it, how much did you end up paying.
    3. What did you do to practice configurating cisco switches/routers.
    4. From what I understand, to get your CCNA, you can take two tests, or just one big test, which one did you choose and why?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• Options
      wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
      Hi Spfdz,

Ok before I answer your questions I work with Cisco stuff anyway so for someone who doesnt may be differemt times etc.

1. I spent about a month reading books (about 2 hours a day) I read two Cisco press and Sybex, I read sybex cover to cover, then used Cisco press to fill in any gaps.

2. Didnt really take a class, we have a complete Learnkey library at work so I sat and watched that over a couple of days

3. Used spare routers and switches at work to practice, then bought some from ebay to practice. Also tried using Boson router sim, but its not powerfull enough.

4. I decided on one test, mainly cos it was less time and made more logical sense to me to take one, I had been working with cisco equipment for two years before hand though.
      Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
    • Options
      porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
      spfdz wrote:
      I just had a couple questions, I plan to study CCNA next year but I'm just wondering how everyone did to prepare.

Here are a couple questions I'm mainly interested in.
        1. Time you spent book reading (I know it's different for everyone, but just wondering anyways)
        2. Did you take a class? If so, how long was it, how much did you end up paying.
        3. What did you do to practice configurating cisco switches/routers.
        4. From what I understand, to get your CCNA, you can take two tests, or just one big test, which one did you choose and why?

Hi spfdz,

I did the following:

1. I read a minimum of an hour a day. Either text book, online material or postings from this site.
        2. I attended and am an alumni of the Cisco Networking Academy (semesters 1-4). It took between 5-6 months.
        3. I started using SIMs to practice with, but learned that having the actual equipment was better for me. It allowed me to see common problems and also forced me to figure out why things didn't work. I was also able to perform IOS and memory upgrades, as well as password recovery. I ended up getting two switches, and five routers...but then again...I knew I would continue studying for my CCNP.
        4. Although I had obtain discount vouchers from Cisco for the two exam approach, I finally decided to take the single exam. In my opinion, the single exam is a true test of your CCNA knowledge. My two exam approach was to pass the CCNA exam, then pass the Network+ exam...which I did. Hey...the Network+ cert is for life...you can't pass that up!

I hope I was able to answer all of your questions. :)
      • Options
        qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
        Thanks, this has definitally made me think about a couple things I shell be doing when my time comes for CCNA.

I guess I gotta drop some dough on those routers/switches. icon_twisted.gif
        World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
      • Options
        MilkywayMilkyway Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
        1. About a month. Used the Cisco Press book.
        2. No.
        3. Pencil and paper (memorizing the commands without tab completion or '?' command lists makes it easier to remember them on the exam where you won't have those crutches to help you. Be sure you write down the expected router prompts before your commands as well so you are very familiar with what prompts are given at what occasion).
        4. One big test because I started studying without being aware of the two-test option, and continued that way once I found out cause I was almost done and it was less expensive.

I found the Boson practice exams quite helpful.