IBM now producing 3D RAM

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Hybrid, 3D, High definition, dual core, quad core, gigahertz. Tired of hearing all of them frankly. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Hybrid, 3D, High definition, dual core, quad core, gigahertz. Tired of hearing all of them frankly. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think you've picked the wrong field! icon_wink.gif
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Specifically, when they're used as buzzwords to attract attention. Let's not forget the classic "cloud" label. Not limited to IT either. There are freakin sunglass commercials labeling them High Definition.

/end grumpiness and thread derailment. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I was thinking you'd need an iceberg to cool this RAM until I read, "HMC also requires 70 percent less energy to transfer data while offering a small form factor." So power consumption and heat generation are low. But how does the stuff hold up against continual vibration and EMP?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They'll deal with vibration at the physical packaging level (most likely) but EMP is probably going to be an issue no matter what the devices are made of.

With these advances and with the work they're doing on 3-D transistors we'll ultimately be looking at reaching a point where we can't make big speed advances in operations anymore (We'll be as fast as we can get)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    they have been working on using crystals as storage devices as well . been reading about that off and on since the 90's.... pretty cool if they ever get that working!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green