Which are the basic CLI Commands to know by memory

Ola_CISCOOla_CISCO Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am currently studying for my CCNA cert, and I have recently started to use Packet Tracer, which is very good. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some basic CLI commands that I should know by memory when setting up practice networks in Packet Tracer.

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    All of them. I constantly have to dig down in my vault to pull out a command I need. :)

After using them for a while, they will come second nature to you.
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best way to learn is by just keep labbing. And every time you start a new lab clear devices and start from scratch every time. You will find that you just start to memorize commands you use in the lab.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just keep playing with it and the commands will stick. What commands are most important to know depends on what you are doing really. Show ip route isn't going to be very helpful when setting up a L2 switch, but very important if you are setting up a routed network.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Ola_CISCOOla_CISCO Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys,

I'll keep practicing with the labs! :)
  • Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you know all your show commands.
  • kal#4kal#4 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sh ip route --- sh ip int brief----sh run
    sh protocols
    sh service-module s0/0/0 P
    sh access-lists
  • fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm gonna break up into 2 categories: routing & switching

a. routing commands

Router Commands List

b. switching

Cisco Switch Commands | Cisco Networking | Asked and Answered

note: some are overlap
    i'm gonna break up into 2 categories: routing & switching

a. routing commands

Router Commands List

b. switching

Cisco Switch Commands | Cisco Networking | Asked and Answered

note: some are overlap

Thanks for this "fredmoogie" -- this has given me more direction to help me to structure the commands!
    Thanks fredmoogie, this has been very helpful :)
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    They will stick in time. The key is not have every command memorized but knowing when/how to use to them icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should know generally the ones which help you troubleshoot the device such as beginning with show.

sh cdp
    sh cdp ne/ne de
    sh ip int bri
    sh ip route
    sh interfaces
    sh version
    sh ip protocols
    sh protocols
    sh arp
    sh run
    ping
    telnet
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    sh int status
    sh run int fa0/0
    sh arp
    sh mac-
    sh vlan
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd also make it a point to toss in some debugs, as well:

debug ip ospf adj
    debug eigrp packets
    etc

Comes in handy when troubleshooting, especially if some show commands have been disabled in sims.
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    sh run int [interface] - Great for saving time combing through the sh run output to find the interface in question's config. (Trifidw beat me to this one)
    sh run | s ip nat ---> Good for checking what translations you have configured, what list you used for nat, etc. Using the section or include commands with show run are good all around, not just with nat.
    sh debug ---> You'd be amazed at how often people forget they're debugging something, and the router or switch runs at sub-par performance because of it.
    Thanks guys, these are very helpful indeed.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Incomplete and lots of overlap of basic commands, but maybe still useful. It was a list of supported commands for a sim I 'was' developing.

icon_arrow.gifSwich Commands

icon_arrow.gifRouter Commands
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    don't forget
    show controllers
    show controller _ _ _ _ _

Useful as they can tell you if a cable is disconnected etc
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    I alwyas try to configure a lab from scratch each time I want to try something. I fire up packet tracer and get going. At CCENT/CCNA level I can generally get something together in 20mins or less depending on what I'm doing. This takes me through all of the basic commands in no time at all.

Conf t
    int _____
    ip address ___
    no shut

switchport mode access
    sh ip int brief

ip dhcp pool _____
    network _____
    default-router______

line vty 0 4
    login
    password

these are the main one's I use to get set up but I'm now going for my CCNA so I'm using a lot of switching commands like Sh Spanning-tree and sh vtp.

But yeah you just find you build up more and more as you build your network, you think 'oh I need to see if this is up or is this working'? and then you find the command just comes to you.

I remember when I was in Sem 1 of my CCNA course at college and the teach was showing us how to copy the commands in to notepad and then copy and paste them in to the router and I have NEVER used this because by typing the command each time it really sticks and this is why I constantly build a network from the ground up.
    Thanks for the tip alliasneo, what type of topology do you use, when you set up your networks?
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    it really depends on what I'm working on. Sometimes it's switches only but I make sure telnet all works ok and I rename the switches and give them passwords and then I start with the configuration. I'd say on every device I set up:

name
    password
    telnet vty lines
    logging synchronous
    no ip domain lookup
    Service password encryption

If I'm just setting up some routers connected to pc i tend to use something like this:

and then add to it later or set it up again later on
    pic.jpg 32.1K
    Nice one, allasneo, going to start working through this on packet tracer!
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alliasneo wrote: »
    it really depends on what I'm working on. Sometimes it's switches only but I make sure telnet all works ok and I rename the switches and give them passwords and then I start with the configuration. I'd say on every device I set up:

name
    password
    telnet vty lines
    logging synchronous
    no ip domain lookup
    Service password encryption

If I'm just setting up some routers connected to pc i tend to use something like this:

and then add to it later or set it up again later on

Very nice I am going to try this on packet tracer as well.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • NCITNCIT Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□