Options

1 hour 30 min interview, Did I get it?

FYI

Got the job!

Comments

• Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Follow up... Make sure your name stick in that person head. I would follow up on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and just ask them if they are close to making a decision about the position. I would follow up tonight with a thank you note for interview and point out the strong points of meeting with them. I would also ask a question or two in the thank you letter this way it has that person to respond. Make the questions require a little thought on his or her side so they are impress with you.... Trust me I know sounds like alot but these little things make you better then other candidates...
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with thenjduke, thank you email can make a world of difference! That being said, it sounds to me like you got it. I've had a number of places where the interviews went exactly as you describe. If I took the position, months later it would usually come up in conversation that they wanted to hire me, but just had to send it through management. The position I just got, they did the song and dance that they had other candidates to interview and I would also have to interview with the VP. Now, to keep things in perspective, my first interview for the position was a year ago and they called me out of the blue to see if I still was interested. If that doesn't say they had made their choice I don't know what would. Ultimately, HR called me and said we want to hire you, no need for the interview with the VP. I've always found that once it ran over the time specified and they start introducing you to members of the team (who weren't in the interview) then you got the job. Good luck and congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    it could go either way. I've had interviews that lasted 2 hours, then they showed me around, introduced me to others, and not get the position. As others have said, follow up with a thank you email and hope for the best.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Good advice from thenjduke. Although a A longer interview is a good sign there's no way to tell if you got it or not. And you have nothing to be afraid of. IF you get it fine. If you don't get it at least you know you dud the best you could've possibly done. As a general rule I always operate on the assumption that I did not get it. If you are actively looking keep momentum going and keep sending applications and resumes. Good luck!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like they say, dont count your chickens before they are hatched. I'd wait till I actually have an offer. I interviewed at this distillery once and was given an hour long tour of the distillery and the server room! Even offered a taste of some of their product. Didnt end up getting the job, it was a sys admin role.

The thank you email is usually a good idea too. Good luck mate, I hope you get the gig.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    In my experience, having an interview go longer than the scheduled time has been a good sign.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah if an interview runs shorter that means they probably decided you are not a good fit and makes no sense wasting your time.

On the other side a longer interview means they see something they like and want to find out more about you. My longest interview I had was about four hours but that was because I was interviewed, then interviewed with Security, then the manager asked if I was hungry and wanted to know if I wanted to go out to lunch with the people I would be working with. I got the job but sometimes if you get a chance to meet the people you will be working with is the best time to try and make an impression with your potential future coworkers. Since if you meet your coworkers the manager is probably going to ask their opinion of you.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    longer interview and then showing you the lay of the land and meeting future coworkers usually means you got the job and they just need to go through the motions with the other interviewees... always good to follow up with a thank you email/call/note a few days after the interview and I also like to keep the tone positive.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Positive news!

Here is the latest update: I sent my thank you e-mail and I am invited to the final interview with the manager's boss who is the VP of IT. I have no idea what to prepare for...technical questions? behavioral? general questions? I was advised to bring a list of 2-3 references.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Yeah if an interview runs shorter that means they probably decided you are not a good fit and makes no sense wasting your time.

Unless the interview is a mere formality.
    I had one I drove 2 hours to get to it, and it was over in about 15 minutes (which at the time I thought was bad) but by the time I made my return trip home, I had a phone call and an offer. That gig was strange from the beginning....

Nevertheless, lengthy interviews, meeting team members, tours all at the same time...generally a good sign. Only time it is bad is when the boss has already made the decision to hire (tours the candidate and introduces the team acting like the candidate is 'one' of many coming through) and the team doesn't want the person on their team for one reason or another and despite objections, you are stuck with this person. Most of the time, the boss takes the teams feedback into consideration because a pleasant working environment tends to result in better productivity.

Regardless, I hope it went well for you. The team likes you and things work out how you hope!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Positive news!

Here is the latest update: I sent my thank you e-mail and I am invited to the final interview with the manager's boss who is the VP of IT. I have no idea what to prepare for...technical questions? behavioral? general questions? I was advised to bring a list of 2-3 references.

[note to self- keep scrolling down]

Sorry, thought I was at the last message when I posted.

Congratulations on making it one step closer!

Yes, be ready for all! And be yourself. It is likely the team likes you as a person, and this guy/gal may or may not check for proficiency. So, be prepared (but not scared).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Almost in the door... Just keep positive attitude and do not count the eggs until they are hatched.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds promising! At my last position, the manager would have people he wanted to hire sit at one of the cubicles with an experienced tech and watch them work for a while. Sort of like a 2nd informal interview. The tech told me that before I left and I had the offer the next day.
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    UPDATE 12/12/2011:

I got the job offer!
    icon_cheers.gif

Thank you all for your assistance!

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!!

lol! No seriously, well done!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com