Options

Guess Who's Got Two Thumbs and a New Job

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
After a long bout of searching, I finally landed a gig with a managed service provider located right down the street from where I live. Primarily it's going to be managing small networks of 25 - 50 users, mainly in Windows Server 2008 R2 domains with either an in-house Exchange 2010 server or a hosted solution, and from the looks of it most of the users will be running Windows 7. It's shaping up to be a very similar job to one I held a few years back; in fact, this company is a direct competitor of my former employer. With the exception of needing to kick my 70-662 studies into gear - having Exchange knowledge comes with the territory of being a Windows admin in the Bay Area - I'm in pretty familiar waters, technology-wise.

The job is part-time, somewhere between 20 - 25 hours per week, and my new boss seems very enthusiastic about my schooling, so he's going to work with me on scheduling me for hours and days when I don't have classes. I've gotten a serious bump in pay as well, earning almost as much for part-time as I did for full-time in the past. I'm also very keen on the fact that most of the client-sites are close by, either in Oakland or San Francisco, so I might not have to pay as much for driving and parking as I did before, but rather use the light rail to get around and save myself the hassle of the freeway commute.

My roommate and I are going to grab a larger apartment in the same building, now that we can justify the cost. I'm going to knock out some debts that have accrued over the past two, out-of-work years, which includes paying down my student loans and just pay for school myself from here on in. I'm also planning on getting myself a new(er) car and possibly plan a trip to see my parents in Sweden, since I haven't been back in quite a few years. All in all, things are looking up.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man! I work for a managed service provider, it's not too terrible, you get to play with a lot so that is a plus (not that you didn't already know that). I always found the really small clients are just as demanding if not more demanding then the big ones. Either way, good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My advice on the schooling is to sit down with your boss and have a proper discussion about how you are going to help this company grow. The managed service provider arena is extremely competitive and many will go to the wall in the years ahead. It's not effective administrators that these companies really need, it's technologists that understand commercial opportunities to exploit. See if you can offer yourself as a contributor to the business strategy. You will get lots of investment in your education if you can get that across.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! it could not happen to a greater bloke! seriously, you deserve it!

I work in a managed services environment and ive found there are tons of areas to get into technology wise when compared to previous corporate environments.

Best of luck in the new job and with school!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Right on, man. Grats!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new gig.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats man! Movin on up!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Congrats! That sounds like a great opportunity, especially considering the free schooling you'll be getting.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! I'm sure you are happy to be back in :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I had my first day yesterday (Friday), and it was a pretty good experience. I worked with the head of the company, along with one of the other techs, migrating an office full of users off their in-house Exchange 2007 box, (which was falling apart at the seams due to being mismanaged and incorrectly set up in the first place,) to a hosted solution. Nothing too mind-bending, really, but we did run into some DNS-related issues in the middle of the day, along with trying to fit the Outlook and Apple Mail setups into the various executives' busy schedules so we wouldn't be causing them too much downtime. I've got a Terminal Services setup to do next week, and then I'll be spending some time to get to know more of the clients. Something tells me I'm about to be the new go-to guy for Microsoft server technologies at this company.

As for working out my school-situation, that's something I hammered out with the boss before starting. I thought it best to lay all my cards on the table during the interview and let him know that I was planning to continue taking classes and that I'd probably never want to be a full-time employee with his company. He told me that, as long as I keep on top of my schedule and am able to do my job, he fully supports my decision to keep working my way through college. It works out nicely, since all the regular work we do is set up weekly or monthly with our clients and all I really have to do is mark my shared calendar as 'busy' when I'm in class well ahead of time to avoid scheduling-conflicts.

My schedule will be a little thin over the holidays since there probably won't be a whole lot of money for new projects coming from the clients until the start of the next quarter, but it looks like I'm going to have no trouble maintaining somewhere between 20 - 25 hours per week between new projects and being scheduled to do regular maintenance and client support in the coming year. Quite frankly, looking at the kind of work I'm going to be doing for this job versus my classes - multi-variable calculus, linear algebra, and MATLAB - I think the tech-work cause the fewer gray hairs. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Good for you.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man. This is definitely good to hear :)