Linux (unbuntu) start up scripts

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

How do I get this working in unbuntu 11.xx?

I am the first to admit I am know Linux guru and have never played with automated start up scripts before. I am trying to get Dynimps to start with the OS, and run as a service/demon. But when I try the script below i get a (can't write to PID file) error, or the below
[EMAIL="aaron@ubuntu:/etc/init.d$"]aaron@ubuntu:/etc/init.d$[/EMAIL] dynamips start
Cisco Router Simulation Platform (version 0.2.8-RC2-x86)
Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Christophe Fillot.
Build date: Jan 18 2011 19:22:29
Unable to create lock file "c7200_i0_lock".
VM default: unable to create instance!
C7200: unable to create instance!

so the script is
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop the dynamips program as a daemon.
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: dynamips
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 95
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6 05
# Short-Description: Cisco Hardware Emulator daemon
### END INIT INFO
NAME="dynamips"
ALIES="dynamips"
DAEMON=/usr/bin/$NAME
PIDFILE=/var/run/$ALIES.pid
PORT=7200
DESC="Cisco Hardware Emulator"
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$ALIES
WORKDIR=/common/dynamips/$ALIES
test -f $DAEMON || exit 0
. /lib/lsb/init-functions
start() {
log_daemon_msg "Starting $DESC: $ALIES"
start-stop-daemon --start --chdir $WORKDIR --background --make-pidfile --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME --startas $DAEMON -- -H $PORT -l /var/log/$ALIES.log
log_end_msg $? 
}
stop() {
log_daemon_msg "Stopping $DESC: $ALIES"
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME
log_end_msg $? 
}
reload() {
log_daemon_msg "Reloading $DESC: $ALIES"
start-stop-daemon --stop --retry 5 --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME
start-stop-daemon --start --chdir $WORKDIR --background --make-pidfile --pidfile $PIDFILE --name $NAME --startas $DAEMON -- -H $PORT -l /var/log/$ALIES.log
log_end_msg $?
}
status() {
status_of_proc -p $PIDFILE $DAEMON $NAME && exit 0 || exit $?
}
case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart)
stop
start
;;
reload)
reload
;;
status)
status
;;
*)
log_action_msg "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|stop|restart|status}"
exit 2
esac
exit 0

Can any one point me in the right direction? I would really like to get this working as manualy starting all the servers after a reboot is pain. Also will a service/demon recover if it crashes, can it be made to check it is running and if not atempt to restart?

Cheers

Aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Aaron,

I've never used dynamips, but first thing catching my eye was that you're running an init.d script as a non-privileged used.

Try

aaron@ubuntu:/etc/init.d$ sudo dynamips start

instead.

If that works, you can make it start automatically by running

aaron@ubuntu:~$ sudo update-rc.d dynamips defaults
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Perfect, thought I had tested that, dam you sudo. Need to go make a sandwich!

one last thing, in the script is has

now this does not exist so I have to change it to make it work (easily done). But what would be the recommended place to point it to. I still a bit tied up with windows way of doing things so would be nice to get a Linux persons suggestion. What are the best practices for this? I mean in windows it would generally be the same as the install directory.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    one last thing, in the script is has

now this does not exist so I have to change it to make it work (easily done). But what would be the recommended place to point it to. I still a bit tied up with windows way of doing things so would be nice to get a Linux persons suggestion. What are the best practices for this? I mean in windows it would generally be the same as the install directory.
    Depending on what WORKDIR is used for, I would use either

/usr/local/dynamips/ or /opt/dynamips (if this dir contains conf files, etc)
    or
    /var/lib/dynamips/ (if this dir contains runtime files)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    Some more information on Linux filesystem hierarchy:

Basic and somewhat dated, but still 99% relevant:
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
    Ubuntu Manpage: hier - Description of the file system hierarchy

Recent changes (a bit more advanced):
    filesystem - Why has /var/run been migrated to /run? - Ask Ubuntu - Stack Exchange

GetCertified4Less
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cheers for those link, one day I will have time to really delve in to LINUX like it deservers. I take my hat of to you who understand it in depth.