Options

Sccm 2007

Guys, How long does it take to implement an SCCM 2007 server? Someone is saying it takes 2 years to implement in some companies. It that true?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    Guys, How long does it take to implement an SCCM 2007 server? Someone is saying it takes 2 years to implement in some companies. It that true?

Thanks

It's not the server, it's a whole system and set of processes.

The SCCM server software can be installed in a matter of minutes on the right box. It's designing the environment, getting the client installed on the PCs, getting the collections set up, setting up imaging and getting all the kinks worked out that takes time.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    There's no one answer to this. As with many projects, the time of completion is relative to a myriad of factors including the expertise and resources that those implementing the project have at their disposal. If you have 2 very good engineers and a zillion hosts and locations, it could take a long time. Same thing with one overworked engineer with zero downtime who just has several hundred hosts.

By the time you start reading the Planning and Deployment Guide to the time where the project is completed it can take a while. Add cutting through all the corporate red tape to that and the projects drag for eternity. This may be why that person mentioned the two years.
  • Options
    GosU-TecHGosU-TecH Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jamesbrown wrote: »

Thanks

SCCM is more about planning on design and the implementation follows along nicely once the plan is place. Once you develop your hierarchy and decide the roles for each site the implementation isn't too bad. At my company we're running SCCM 2007 SP2R2 (mixed mode) and have a central site at our datacenter and then 3 primary sites based on region. From there, all of the remote sites are secondary sites to the corresponding regional primary sites. The design could be a lot different based on the size and needs of your company. The primary reasons we use SCCM is for software updates, software distribution, OSD, and reporting. It really only took us a few months to implement globally, but there's always work to be done as we're currently going through some hardware refreshes and upgrading the existing 2003 site servers to server 2008 r2 icon_wink.gif We're still deciding on upgrading to R3 and SCCM 2012 is looming right around the corner as well.
  • Options
    GosU-TecHGosU-TecH Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    There's no one answer to this. As with many projects, the time of completion is relative to a myriad of factors including the expertise and resources that those implementing the project have at their disposal. If you have 2 very good engineers and a zillion hosts and locations, it could take a long time. Same thing with one overworked engineer with zero downtime who just has several hundred hosts.

By the time you start reading the Planning and Deployment Guide to the time where the project is completed it can take a while. Add cutting through all the corporate red tape to that and the projects drag for eternity. This may be why that person mentioned the two years.

+1...As for my post above we had 2-3 sys admins (including myself) focusing on this project during implementation with the initial design help of a Microsoft engineer. The servers were never really an issue as we're a VMware shop so we stood up the new primaries on existing ESX hosts and all of the secondary sites were installed on existing file and print servers. If hardware, licensing, resources, etc become a factor I could easily see how this project would drag on for a bit.
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    GosU-TecH wrote: »
    SCCM is more about planning on design and the implementation follows along nicely once the plan is place. Once you develop your hierarchy and decide the roles for each site the implementation isn't too bad. At my company we're running SCCM 2007 SP2R2 (mixed mode) and have a central site at our datacenter and then 3 primary sites based on region. From there, all of the remote sites are secondary sites to the corresponding regional primary sites. The design could be a lot different based on the size and needs of your company. The primary reasons we use SCCM is for software updates, software distribution, OSD, and reporting. It really only took us a few months to implement globally, but there's always work to be done as we're currently going through some hardware refreshes and upgrading the existing 2003 site servers to server 2008 r2 icon_wink.gif We're still deciding on upgrading to R3 and SCCM 2012 is looming right around the corner as well.

Thank you guys for all you response. I know it shouldn't take that long to implement but the engineers we have at my company don't have any plan in place. They are just designing it. No test environment, the current setup right now will be the production server.