Progression after CCNA?

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
I have about 1 year and 7 months of education left, which by the end of I should have a degree in Computer Networks or Network Management and Security (depending on what path I take in the final year). I have my CCNA, and I'm actively looking for work experience. I want to carry on studying so as to prepare myself for when I have to go out there and actually get a job. Now... the natural progression from CCNA would be CCNP, but I have this -somewhat crazy- idea about going for the CCIE... now before we debate whether CCIE with 0 years work experience = stupid idea I'd like to know: is the CCIE a big leap from CCNP? Could someone who only has knowledge of CCNA topics go on to study CCIE and complete it within 2 years, or would I be better off just going through CCNP and then perhaps CCIE at a later date?

I see some very knowledge people on this forum like Turgon and Forsaken_GA and they clearly have a lot of theoretical knowledge, so surely it's not all about hands-on experience; that's not to say real world experience isn't important -it most certainly is-, but right now I'm limited to books and labs unfortunately. At 21 years old I feel as if I'm very late into the whole networking scene; I just want to be able to build my knowledge up as quickly as possible so I can land a decent job within 5-10 years.

What should I do?

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off Turgon and Forsaken_GA have a lot of hands on experience along with theoretical knowledge. I know a few CCIEs who were kind of limited in actual work experience and they got pretty good jobs right out of college (got their CCIEs while in college). I wouldn't advise trying to get the CCIE without at least some experience because your first job will have a really steep learning curve and they will expect you to know your stuff right at the start. Get some work experience and then progress up to the CCIE. The CCIE has no prerequisiites but it would behoove you to getn at least the CCNP before attempting it. If you're going to go after the CCIE Route/switch then you should get the CCNP R&S and the CCIP as you'll need to cover the material for QOS and MPLS.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Eildor wrote: »
    I see some very knowledge people on this forum like Turgon and Forsaken_GA and they clearly have a lot of theoretical knowledge, so surely it's not all about hands-on experience

That's not necessarily the correct line of thought. Who's to say how much of their theoretical knowledge came directly from their hands-on experience. I mean sure, you have to do a lot of reading to lay the foundation.. but I think hands-on ALSO lays the foundation. And I think hands-on is what allows you to get a deeper understanding, but everyone's different.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I've only briefly looked at the ccie level books/materials but from what I see, the ccie assumes ccnp knowledge. If you go from ccna to ccie and you have no experience, you're probably going to have a lot of questions/confusion along the way
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    CCNP it is then ...whilst trying to get myself some work experience, of course.

And I wasn't suggesting that Turgon and Forsaken_GA have theoretical knowledge without hands-on experience, they clearly do.... what I was trying to say is that there is clearly a lot of theory involved, and since I can't get the work experience I might as well get cracking on with the theory. I have been contacting companies in search of unpaid work experience, hopefully I will find something soon.