Options

PST Backup

2»

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In regards to E.E., the moot point is requesting an increase of the Exchange limits. Everyone will have access to 4GB of DISA's cloud for inbox however people will unfortunately need >4GB. You make a great point about e-mail not being a storage system. I agree and the unfortunate culture this environment has had for the past couple decades has taught them to save all e-mails.

The Exchange System is separate from our NETAPP NAS which we use for backup of everything else (shares and home directory).

Politics play a large role in doing things this way for DoD as there is baseline provided funds, and mission funds. 100MB is baseline. Everything else the mission tenants need/want comes out of Mission funds which means a separate system. You make a good point however with archiving. We couldn't do that now as the users @ 100MB need access to much more than that daily, however with 4GB anything greater can probably be archived. We do have COMMVAULT and I did consider that for block level backups but maybe we can integrate that into an archiving solution. I'll check with the tape guys as well as that's not my lane but what do you recommend for an archiving solution to tape?

Anyone here use Symantec Enterprise Vault?

Are they not going to be using an centralized archiving system at the DISA managed location? I thought the government was required to be more strict with regard to electronic information archiving policies?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    blargoe wrote: »
    Are they not going to be using an centralized archiving system at the DISA managed location? I thought the government was required to be more strict with regard to electronic information archiving policies?

I'm sure DISA will have an archiving system however that archive will not be accessible by the local installations. The important aspect is users have access to all of their e-mail, which is unforunately >4GB for many users.

So far I think we will be moving forward with 4Team Corporation's SafePSTBackup (Free Edition initially) since it offers a way to easily backup user's PST files (for whatever is >4GB) to the NAS so it can be used locally, since it's automated and transparent to the user. Incremental functionality is a big plus.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Funny that this came back up, I recently spent about 3 hours giving an over the phone consultation to a small business on the east coast with a PST problem. :P Yay for small easy side jobs.