Options

First time to resign a full time job, Need advice

I accepted a job offer which starts in on the first day of January (after New Years).

I plan to inform my manager tomorrow (2 weeks notice)..is it too early? or should i wait until next week?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I heard stories where people get job offers but then the job offer gets cancelled then they go unemployed...is this possible? I signed the job offer...but I am still scared to resign with my current employer. advice?

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    the more notice you give the better you look to your past employers and they may give you a better reference in the future
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    There is always the potential for something bad to happen. If you signed the paper and have a start date, you're most likely going to be fine. Put in how ever long of notice it says in your handbook (usually 2 weeks).

Good luck!
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Thank you very much for the advice. I will resign in the next two days. (2 weeks and 2 days notice).

Can I just write a simple resignation letter? 3-4 sentences. I looked online for examples and they write 3-5 huge paragraphs. I just don't want to leave behind anything that will go against me. So, I prefer to write 2-3 sentences and keep it short to the point. Will that be OK?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always wait for the docs to be signed and sent back. Once confirmed receipt i would then put my notice in.

In your resignation letter i would just do all the usual....it has been a good job, thanks for the opportunity, i need to move on to further my career, i wish you all the best in the future etc. Be civil about these things. i always say leave on good terms.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    btw, good luck in your new role!

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I accepted a job offer which starts in on the first day of January (after New Years).

I plan to inform my manager tomorrow (2 weeks notice)..is it too early? or should i wait until next week?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I heard stories where people get job offers but then the job offer gets cancelled then they go unemployed...is this possible? I signed the job offer...but I am still scared to resign with my current employer. advice?

I agree with DemonFurbie, but I would like to add that you should treat this a a negotiation opportunity. Never go in to resigning, always go in to create another opportunity. You might be able to get more $$$ out of your current employer.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I agree with DemonFurbie, but I would like to add that you should treat this a a negotiation opportunity. Never go in to resigning, always go in to create another opportunity. You might be able to get more $$$ out of your current employer.

Thats a valid point but you gotta look at your motives for leaving in the first place too.

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    I would like to add that you should treat this a a negotiation opportunity. Never go in to resigning, always go in to create another opportunity. You might be able to get more $$$ out of your current employer.

Even if you did get more money out of your current employer and they managed to keep you, you'd be the first in the firing line when people get retrenched or get picked on when things go wrong. I'm always of the opinion that if you've decided to leave, leave. You chose to apply for another job because there was something wrong with the current one. Just me 2 cents and mean no offense Patrick.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Thank you very much for the advice. I will resign in the next two days. (2 weeks and 2 days notice).

Can I just write a simple resignation letter? 3-4 sentences. I looked online for examples and they write 3-5 huge paragraphs. I just don't want to leave behind anything that will go against me. So, I prefer to write 2-3 sentences and keep it short to the point. Will that be OK?

Yes keep it simple and professional. Also don't turn it in (don't even print it out) until you have established a firm start date with your new employer (i.e. you passed any drug tests and background checks they require after accepting their offer).

It should be dated the day you are turning it in. You should also include the last day you are offering to work through. Leave some space between the last paragraph, put your name and contact info, sign above your name in ink.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always wrote my resignation as short as possible: <Managers name> I, <my name>, am putting worth my two weeks notice. My final day will be <date>. Sign and hand it in. If they want to ask me why, I am happy to tell them, but I never felt the notice was the place to put those things.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    Even if you did get more money out of your current employer and they managed to keep you, you'd be the first in the firing line when people get retrenched or get picked on when things go wrong. I'm always of the opinion that if you've decided to leave, leave. You chose to apply for another job because there was something wrong with the current one. Just me 2 cents and mean no offense Patrick.

None taken

I agree if it's a hostile situation you should just leave peacefully.
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    nel wrote: »
    Thats a valid point but you gotta look at your motives for leaving in the first place too.

I am ready to run and escape. Motives for leaving:
    1) Work hours are too long
    2) No official breaks (overworked) - sometimes I miss my lunch break due to getting stuck on the call for hours
    3) Management doesn't appreciate our work (we are at the bottom of the barrel) - i'm looking for a role where people will acknowledge my hard work
    4) Micromanaged and many eyes watching us (do 1 little mistake and you get slapped in the face - not physically but get a warning)
    ETC.
    Everyone wrote: »
    Yes keep it simple and professional. Also don't turn it in (don't even print it out) until you have established a firm start date with your new employer (i.e. you passed any drug tests and background checks they require after accepting their offer).

It should be dated the day you are turning it in. You should also include the last day you are offering to work through. Leave some space between the last paragraph, put your name and contact info, sign above your name in ink.
    I have a firm start date! References confirmed successful. I signed the paper and gave me a photo copy version.

I can resign now..
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Document your start and term dates, and start keeping them somewhere, I keep all that stuff in my personal email. It will make things easier in the future. Also, it might be worth while for you to draft a letter of recommendation and have your boss sign it,
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »

Yep. I never ever accept a counter offer from a current employer. Once I give notice there is absolutely nothing that can be done to retain my services.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Yeah.

I've even had recruiters (what's in it for them?) advising me on the possibility of getting more out of my current employer.

If the employer wanted to keep you, they'd have tried harder from the beginning.

Still, some things are beyond their control. As you progress, you should naturally outgrow your current role, and transition to something different. In IT, a lot of time this involves changing employers, as there may not be advancement opportunities within your current organization.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    instant000 wrote: »
    I've even had recruiters (what's in it for them?) advising me on the possibility of getting more out of my current employer.

Getting you a higher offer from the company they are recruiting for, which in turn increases the commission they receive.

If you get an offer for $50k, go to resign, and your boss counters with $55k to try and get you to stay, the recruiter might be able to take that and get your offer upped to $60k, which means more $$ for them too, etc.