Options

New Guy on the block

Guys,
How do you handle situation whereby you have sys admin and network admin doing windows deployment, task sequence and imaging in general? I started this job 1 week ago and I noticed that all sys admin and network admin are doing my job basically. I have talked to my boss but it seems like he doesn't understand what access I need in SCCM to do my job.

How should I handle this. And, I noticed that these guys are not willing to teach or let me work on SCCM. They basically told me that they will give me access to deployment but I can't make changes to anything. But, My job description says I will be in charge of deployment, patches and updates.

I'm confusedicon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tell your boss what you need in order to do your job. If there isn't a reasonable response find a new job as soon as possible. This place is disorganized and it's ridiculous. It won't get better and it isn't worth your time. Been there. Done that. Won't do it again.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It may just be confusion over what your job duties are or even that they don't expect you to do those things since you've been at this job a short time. Possible that those people have been the ones responsible for doing those things up until now and the system there hasn't changed yet.
    It's probably best to just try to make them aware that you can do these things and that you should be granted permissions (in a diplomatic way, of course) to do your job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    earweed wrote: »
    It may just be confusion over what your job duties are or even that they don't expect you to do those things since you've been at this job a short time. Possible that those people have been the ones responsible for doing those things up until now and the system there hasn't changed yet.
    It's probably best to just try to make them aware that you can do these things and that you should be granted permissions (in a diplomatic way, of course) to do your job.

I'll try to talk to my boss. But, I have seen this guys telling my boss that they can give me access right now that they will have to meet and talk about it. Guys, if I do decide to look for jobs else where, how should I list this job on my resume?

Thanks.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm with earweed. Are you sure you are not overthinking it. Given you've been there for such a short period of time it is too early for you to be drawing conclusions and think about moving on. Unless there's something else bothering you that you havent mentioned, i would talk to the guys to see where they are coming from. In my experience, everyone trys to feel out the newbies before giving access to the good stuff, no matter how small. Maybe the guy that was there before you was a goofball and that is affecting their judgement of you. Only way to find out is by talking to them and politely asking what the hell is going on.

Again, dont overthink it. Running away without knowing what the real problem is will not solve anything.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have been there one week? I was at a position with a previous employer as a Senior Network Administrator and was there four months before the IT Director would release domain admin rights and passwords to me. I understand the situation you are going through but give it time. Think about it from their prespective. They barely know you and they are use to doing things their way. You are on their stomping ground. My advice is have meetings with them and your boss and explain the situation and work together with the guys. Trust me honesty is the best path and not demanding. You will have to fit in over time and do not over think the situation. They are just being cautious about letting go of control. They have to adapt as well as you and it is harder to let go when it has been their network. One more thing is maybe instead of telling boss what you need for your job how about training with the two guys and have them show you what needs to be done. If you show you are willing to learn and express this to them I am sure they are willing to teach. If not then time to move onto another position.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    You have been there one week? I was at a position with a previous employer as a Senior Network Administrator and was there four months before the IT Director would release domain admin rights and passwords to me. I understand the situation you are going through but give it time. Think about it from their prespective. They barely know you and they are use to doing things their way. You are on their stomping ground. My advice is have meetings with them and your boss and explain the situation and work together with the guys. Trust me honesty is the best path and not demanding. You will have to fit in over time and do not over think the situation. They are just being cautious about letting go of control. They have to adapt as well as you and it is harder to let go when it has been their network. One more thing is maybe instead of telling boss what you need for your job how about training with the two guys and have them show you what needs to be done. If you show you are willing to learn and express this to them I am sure they are willing to teach. If not then time to move onto another position.

I will give it time and see how it goes. But, something inside me says they will keep doing my job. These guys are sys and network admins. Thank guys for your advice.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    How should I handle this. And, I noticed that these guys are not willing to teach or let me work on SCCM. They basically told me that they will give me access to deployment but I can't make changes to anything. But, My job description says I will be in charge of deployment, patches and updates.

I'm confusedicon_confused.gif:

Like most have said, it's too early to jump to conclusions. From what you wrote, it seems as if you don't have much experience with SCCM, or your experience is very limited. If that is the case, I doubt if any reasonably intelligent IT worker will just hand over the keys to you. Patience is the key here, people don't usually get full rights on systems as soon as they walk in the door, and if their experience on the technology is limited, then admin access will definitely be put on the back burner.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    So what exactly is your job then?
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    So what exactly is your job then?

Desktop Administrator.
  • Options
    The first day I got there, they told me that what they are actually is what I got hired for.
  • Options
    Like most have said, it's too early to jump to conclusions. From what you wrote, it seems as if you don't have much experience with SCCM, or your experience is very limited. If that is the case, I doubt if any reasonably intelligent IT worker will just hand over the keys to you. Patience is the key here, people don't usually get full rights on systems as soon as they walk in the door, and if their experience on the technology is limited, then admin access will definitely be put on the back burner.
    Most place I have worked for put me to work right on my first day.I'm not tryin to brag here but I pick up on softwares or applications pretty quick. I have work with SCCM for about 3 months. There are so many things these guys are doing wrong that most IT department won't do. I really don't want to go into details but I'll try to wait and see how things go.

Thanks
    James
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Desktop Administrator.

Then limited access to SCCM is all you need. A Desktop Administrator doesn't need full control over an SCCM server.
  • Options
    Most place I have worked for put me to work right on my first day.I'm not tryin to brag here but I pick up on softwares or applications pretty quick. I have work with SCCM for about 3 months. There are so many things these guys are doing wrong that most IT department won't do. I really don't want to go into details but I'll try to wait and see how things go.

Thanks
    James

From my iPhone
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Then limited access to SCCM is all you need. A Desktop Administrator doesn't need full control over an SCCM server.
    Does that mean, I can't create packages and deploy them? My job description says so. But, they are telling me I won't. Even, my boss is confused right now.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does that mean, I can't create packages and deploy them? My job description says so. But, they are telling me I won't. Even, my boss is confused right now.

Sounds like a communication problem. I would suggest getting a pen and paper and writing some questions down and then having a meeting with your boss. Some questions I would ask:
    1) What steps need to be taken in order for me to gain said access?
    2) I do not have said access which means I cannot properly do this portion of my job. Would you like me to do something else until my access is fixed?
    3) What exactly is my involvement with deployment, patches, etc.

Plus any other questions you have. It's important to get "next steps" for all questions so you can be proactive.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    Sounds like a communication problem. I would suggest getting a pen and paper and writing some questions down and then having a meeting with your boss. Some questions I would ask:
    1) What steps need to be taken in order for me to gain said access?
    2) I do not have said access which means I cannot properly do this portion of my job. Would you like me to do something else until my access is fixed?

3) What exactly is my involvement with deployment, patches, etc.

Plus any other questions you have. It's important to get "next steps" for all questions so you can be proactive.

Thanks, I'll try that..