Options

Forbes: Top Ten Reasons Why Large Companies Fail To Keep Their Best Talent

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
Some months back I went from a relatively small company of 500 employees to a super-large Fortune 100. A month and a half later, I went to a company which is even smaller than the first company. In this list, the first two points hit home for me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2011/12/14/top-ten-reasons-why-large-companies-fail-to-keep-their-best-talent/

At my current organization, the title of point 7 is right on the money. We have some really sharp folks doing really cool stuff and that makes me happy. Odd as it sounds, it's always great to be around smart people, hoping it'll eventually rub off on you. Being in a large company also makes you feel smaller. Being a security practitioner makes me a control freak by design so I'd like a position where I have more influence, hence the move I made from the Fortune 100.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I must not be best talent since money is very important to me. I've put up with crappy bosses and not so bright co-workers for 6 odd years because it was the best paying job in the area. I've plotted my career path based on how to earn more money quickly and long term w/out killing myself with work.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have liked being in smaller companies where my input matters. On the other hand sometimes smaller companies are so set in their ways its hard to make improvements when you need to.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've worked in large companies and small companies. Smaller companies I felt like I was more part of the "team", whereas large companies (which I'm currently employed by one) you are just another cog in the wheel. Larger companies tend to pay better pay, benefits and opportunities whereas smaller companies just don't (in most cases).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't even finished reading yet but the first few points are already hitting home with me. Especially that first one. I want to be part of a team not just another body to fill a seat. That's why my new job is a dream job. I'ts a small company with only like 11 or 12 of us in the support department. It's so much more laid back like how an IT job should be without all of the uneccesssary regulations.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    #2 is very important to me. It's probably my single biggest motivator in this field.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%