Options

interview attire

fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
the interviewee mentioned it will be business professional interview. he mentioned suit/tie.

will dress pants/shirt/tie do?

i dislike wearing suit

Comments

• Options
    shagismshagism Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If he specifically mentioned a suit/tie I would wear one. You are probably not the only person interviewing for the job and you should never stand out in a negative way for something as silly as putting on a suit.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Do you want the job or not?

If they specifically tell you a suit and tie, wear it. It doesn't matter if you dislike it. Plus, it will only be for a couple hours.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Do you want the job or not?

If they specifically tell you a suit and tie, wear it. It doesn't matter if you dislike it. Plus, it will only be for a couple hours.

^^ This.

If you don't like wearing a suit and tie, and that's what they wear in this office, maybe you don't want the job. Wear the suit and tie to the interview, pay attention to what everybody else is wearing when you get there. If dress code is a deal breaker for you, and you notice the whole office wearing suits, might not be the job for you.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Some of us believe that a suit is the default interview attire unless otherwise specified. If they specifically mentioned suit+tie, you shouldn't even have to ask. Do not give them any reasons to dismiss you early in the process. It's all about first impressions. Some people are **** about that and will grill you in their minds during the first few seconds.

Do you have a suit? If you do the right thing and decide to get one please make sure the one you buy fits you well, like a glove. I can't even count how many people I've seen at interviews with suits one or two sizes bigger, super long/short sleeves, weird patterns, etc. Even a cheap suit if chosen properly can make you look like a million dollar candidate. Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    Thanks and appreciate your feedback...suit/tie it is....now, the question is what color tie? lol jk
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    fredmoogie wrote: »
    Thanks and appreciate your feedback...suit/tie it is....now, the question is what color tie? lol jk

Dilbert tie is mandatory. j/k ;)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

You shouldn't even have to ask. There's only one tie that will guarantee you get the job:

tacky-christmas-tie.jpg

icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is like the casual interview dress thread except reversed. They said business professional. They said suit and tie. Follow instructions. It's not that difficult.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    You shouldn't even have to ask. There's only one tie that will guarantee you get the job:

tacky-christmas-tie.jpg

icon_smile.gif

Getting that for the entire office...
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This is like the casual interview dress thread except reversed. They said business professional. They said suit and tie. Follow instructions. It's not that difficult.

Indeed. I don't know why thats so difficult :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like cyberguypr's tie!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

When in doubt, go with the fish tie.

fishties.jpg
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I all seriousness....

A good suit will be a dark one. That's either charcoal gray or navy blue. Pinstripes optional, though if you go with pinstripes, make sure they're muted...noticable, but not loud. Both colors will complement EVERYONE's skin tones.

If you go with grey, then a white shirt with a dark bright red tie or a light sky blue will go well. I would avoid colorful patterns/designs (e.g. paisley) or designs. I would go with ties that have muted designs, but is more color than anything else (like colorless patterns that aren't loud.) You want a tie that is noticable and not tacky. Something you'd find at a Macy's, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus (I just went in order of price of where to find a decently nice tie... :) )

One other thing, half-windsor knots are acceptable. full windsors are nice if you can tie them, but a half is probably the easiest knot a man (or woman) can do. :)
  • Options
    i went with the holiday theme....what u think? got me a 2nd interview set up with onsite PM.