Options

Route passed

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Scored 825, with passing 790.

I didn't really feel like I was ready, but at the same time I didn't feel I was learning anything through reading or labs so just went for it.

First question I pretty much froze up and couldn't remember ANYTHING. Took me a while to get the gears working, but after that things didn't go too badly. As always there were questions I would look at and go "wtf?" but all in all I thought the exam was pretty decent. I remember getting about 35 questions in and thinking "I really think I'm going to pass this" - then reminding myself that luck is a cruel mistress and I shouldn't think that ... yet. Last question was a "I don't know" question so did a best guess and finished with 34 minutes left on the clock.

Definitely a few "trick" questions (I even commented on one that it was a trick question, asking things to be set up in a way that wasn't logical) so be sure you read the ENTIRE question because there might be a "don't do it this way" somewhere. (that should be vague enough to be NDA appropriate)

On to Switch!
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me be the first to say....Congrats!! ROUTE is not an easy test and it's a great feeling when you realize you don't have to go through all the build up and prep work a second time.

I just recently passed ROUTE as well and am currently studying for SWITCH.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!!

icon_thumright.gif

Hoping to take ROUTE soon myself and then TSHOOT to finally get my CCNP.

Good luck with the other exams, but for now it's time to relax and enjoy the pass. Nice job!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the win!
    I've heard from a lot of people that Route is a tough exam.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    l!ghtl!ght Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What did you use for preparations and how much experience you had prior to taking test?
    Jesus saves!
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started with CBTNuggets for a (very) high-level overview, followed by the Foundation Learning Guide (cover to cover), followed by the Official Certification Guide (cover to cover). Despite the popularity of the FLG, I didn't really find it as useful for exam studying, although it was great to prepare the way for the OCG to come.

For both books, if I ran into an area that wasn't explained well, I dug out the other book to compare and between the two I would understand what was going on. I didn't take any notes until going through the OCG, so pretty much that's where my studying REALLY began.

Experience wise I sadly don't have much. My NOC job doesn't really give me the opportunity to learn from the engineers - the only hands-on I really get it when I poke around at nights and find something, and send an email saying "I see this. I think it's wrong. I'm changing it tomorrow night unless you stop me". If I don't get an email reply I change it.

Yeah, I need to find a better job. Once I get the CCNP I probably will but at the moment it's a great chance to study.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on passing ROUTE! I'm aiming to test next month, but we'll see. This exam is just too much fun to study for.. lol
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi