Options

Getting Burned Out... Thinking of Changing Direction

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am getting burned out and perhaps it is just a temporary thing. I think I just need to get some better short-term goals. Who knows... all of my current goals are too far out.

Anyhow, I am thinking of getting into physics. My undergrad was in Information Systems, but went heavy in math as I wanted to take physics for my singular science course, but I ended up doing an earth science course because it is the only science class I could take and graduate on time based off of only taking course in the evenings.

Well, I would be interested in an online physics program. It doesn't have to be all that respected... I just want to do it. This will be for me, but I would like the opportunity to do at least an MS after it, maybe a PhD (which has more to do with GRE and GRE Physics scores and overall GPA along with other life achievements).

This may be something that I just abandon... I have no clue. I don't know what I would actually do with the degree... we will just see.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hear that man! I thought about switching to Nursing, but at this point I'll hang in for a bit longer. Nothing wrong with pursing outside interests, I've been studying Philosophy on my own as it is something I enjoy.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are quite a few things that can be done with a Physics degree. Physics basically studies how everything (from the universe to the smallest particle or just energy) works and interacts and how it was/is created and modified. As you mention it requires a real ability for math. With all you've achieved so far in IT (judging by your certs and some of your old posts and discussions) you seem capable of doing it.
    I wouldn't try doing it completely online though. Most of the early physics courses require a lab component and would suffer greatly by not having the proper equipment and a live instructor. As you proceeded to an adanced degree you may also require more extensive use of lab equipment which would be readily available at a B&M Uniersity. I speak from experience about the early Physics courses as I took some Physics while at a B&M in my younger days. I was good enough that I served as a tutor for the lower level classes for a year. Physics came to life for me in the lab as just studying the book I would lose interest but when I could physically "prove it" as well as on paper it gained appeal.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i know how ya feel

im getting the school/life burn out myself, ive thought of learning autocad/blueprint design

with phyics you could do alot of things, electrical grid systems i wouldnt think would be hugly differant than network wireing
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I looked at Chemistry schools just this evening, kinda funny.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Physics + chemistry (+ maths) is pretty much the universe that we live in. Utmost respect to anyone that studies any of them. There are plenty of jobs that you can get if you're good at it - some paying a lot more than general IT
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »
    I am getting burned out and perhaps it is just a temporary thing. I think I just need to get some better short-term goals. Who knows... all of my current goals are too far out.

Anyhow, I am thinking of getting into physics. My undergrad was in Information Systems, but went heavy in math as I wanted to take physics for my singular science course, but I ended up doing an earth science course because it is the only science class I could take and graduate on time based off of only taking course in the evenings.

Well, I would be interested in an online physics program. It doesn't have to be all that respected... I just want to do it. This will be for me, but I would like the opportunity to do at least an MS after it, maybe a PhD (which has more to do with GRE and GRE Physics scores and overall GPA along with other life achievements).

This may be something that I just abandon... I have no clue. I don't know what I would actually do with the degree... we will just see.

A worthy ambition. Will you have the time? Studying Physics to degree level is very demanding.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am in the same boat PF. I am hoping to learn corporate finance somehow someway. I have been reading financial books and magazines along with Harvard business review.

If you have the time and you really want to do it then do it!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could just make it a hobby of yours and chill on IT certs and school. I decided a few years ago I am only doing every other certification meaning If I did Win 2000 I would do Win 2008 Microsoft certs. Not saying you slack on learning your profession but you don't have to constantly train for tests and school. Do physics as a hobby, I am sure with the online community you can find ways to contribute as a hobby. I think if you make your hobby your job you tend to get sick of it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    You could just make it a hobby of yours and chill on IT certs and school. I decided a few years ago I am only doing every other certification meaning If I did Win 2000 I would do Win 2008 Microsoft certs. Not saying you slack on learning your profession but you don't have to constantly train for tests and school. Do physics as a hobby, I am sure with the online community you can find ways to contribute as a hobby. I think if you make your hobby your job you tend to get sick of it.

I think this is a good point. That's what I started to do with corporate finance. I started out reading 3 books I bought off of amazon and then started to analyze stocks P&L, cash flow statements, and balance sheets. Then started running ratio and indexs on the data to make heads or tails out of it.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    The research work alone is going to destroy much free time.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TesseracT wrote: »
    Physics + chemistry (+ maths) is pretty much the universe that we live in. Utmost respect to anyone that studies any of them. There are plenty of jobs that you can get if you're good at it - some paying a lot more than general IT

My father is a chemist for the Air Force. My mom has told me stories of how he struggled to get his MS degree will working 3 jobs and taking care of his new bride and children (just me initially, then my sister was born and sh*t got real). I've read some of his old books and to this day I have no idea how he handled the stress.

It may be very stressful for you to do a BS or a MS in physics but as an alternative you could do some classes at a local community college. That may scratch the itch you have without pushing you over the edge.
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I work in a pharmaceutical environment, so some 80% of my coworkers are physicists, chemists, and biologists. Most of them have their PhD but like us IT geeks they have their specializations too. I don't know about physicists, but between the chemists and biologists here they've all said the research aspect of their careers are a dying breed. So much is outsourced and driven by the big fat $, so they're worried.

Before you think the grass is any greener on the other side, look at the layoffs in pharma and biotech industries just in the past 3 years. The picture is not very pretty when one drives down once-busy streets of biotech facilities that are now vacant and going at 85cent/sq ft., including world-class lab space and all.

I think you just need to add a hobby or two; if you like hands on physics, try building something useful (watch "October Sky", great movie based on real life physicists). Day in and out with any thing will drive you nut. Take a long vacation or something.
  • Options
    We'll see. I can take courses for free at my alma mater (for audit only - no credit), so I may do that... the problem is that the latest they offer the intro physics course is 4PM, which is why I didn't do it while I was in school. As far as doing school in the evening while working and raising a family, I did it for my entire undergrad and so far with two kids and then my third... since I already have an BS, I would only be focusing on major courses and I would only go part-time, so it will be much easier than before (and interesting).

I think, before I do anything, I just need to take a vacation. I haven't taken a real vacation since my honeymoon 13 years ago. Everything since then has been a long weekend here, work related travel with a small amount of leisure there....
  • Options
    I work in a pharmaceutical environment, so some 80% of my coworkers are physicists, chemists, and biologists. Most of them have their PhD but like us IT geeks they have their specializations too. I don't know about physicists, but between the chemists and biologists here they've all said the research aspect of their careers are a dying breed. So much is outsourced and driven by the big fat $, so they're worried.

Before you think the grass is any greener on the other side, look at the layoffs in pharma and biotech industries just in the past 3 years. The picture is not very pretty when one drives down once-busy streets of biotech facilities that are now vacant and going at 85cent/sq ft., including world-class lab space and all.

I think you just need to add a hobby or two; if you like hands on physics, try building something useful (watch "October Sky", great movie based on real life physicists). Day in and out with any thing will drive you nut. Take a long vacation or something.

Confused. Are you saying you work in IT and most of your coworkers in IT have degrees or PhDs in the sciences?
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    We'll see. I can take courses for free at my alma mater (for audit only - no credit), so I may do that... the problem is that the latest they offer the intro physics course is 4PM, which is why I didn't do it while I was in school. As far as doing school in the evening while working and raising a family, I did it for my entire undergrad and so far with two kids and then my third... since I already have an BS, I would only be focusing on major courses and I would only go part-time, so it will be much easier than before (and interesting).

I think, before I do anything, I just need to take a vacation. I haven't taken a real vacation since my honeymoon 13 years ago. Everything since then has been a long weekend here, work related travel with a small amount of leisure there....

STOP.

Personally I think you should invest your time and energies first and foremost on what cements your bottom line financially for your and your family.
    After that by all means do physics, at college or as a layman, providing it's financially sustainable and doesn't affect what I just said.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I'll admit when you get a touch of that burn out you're feeling desperate for a change and a bit of relaxation. I'd say disconnect for a bit... dont make any drastic decisions.

I myself have been burnt out for a number of years and just today finally got an offer that will change all that... I'm officially OUT of IT in the next 2 weeks and very excited.
  • Options
    I am going to finish up my current MS and see where I go from there. Perhaps I will be over my current funk by then... especially if I take some time off of school and get in a good family vacation.

If anything, Stanford has lectures from Dr. Susskind (well-respected in the field) on Youtube. Like others said, maybe just a hobby.