Options

error code 1231 Weird problem

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I was sitting there surfing the net tonight and my wifes comp lost internet connectivity. It is connected with one of those USB wireless adapters as I didn't want to run a cable all the way back to our room. It showed the connection available but wouldn't connect to it. I tried ipconfig and it showed media disconnected ???? How did it detect the wireless signal with all the info yet say media disconnected. Pinged loopback 127.0.0.1 > good and tried to traceroute an outside address and got transmission error code 1231.
Looked it up on the web and found a lot of references where people with Vista had that problem (Have Windows 7 Pro on wifes comp) and their solution was to uncheck IPV6. I finally gave in and tried it and it worked. I've tried to look for an explanation about why this problem sprung up like this and couldn't find a good one. They mostly speculated something about Vista preffering IPv6.
The closest I found searching here was this http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/31005-ipv6-nat-pt.html but that was a different situation.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.