Comptia - Lifelong still forced to renew?

Was wondering if anyone could answer this...

Back when I took CompTIA exams, they were life long. Then CompTIA decided to make them renewable / Continuing eduction point based.

As far as I CompTIA is concerned, are my certs still life long?

I know that in the eyes of some employeers that CompTIA certs are no longer lifelong, but I am speacking strickly from a CompTIA point of view.

Asking because I have found many conflicting posts on here and other sites.

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yes they are still lifelong, if you got them before a specific date you don't have to renew. IIRC, for Security+ it was anyone who had the cert prior to January 1st 2011 was grandfathered. There was a big push in the DoD to get people to finish that cert up prior to the change so that they wouldn't have to renew.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Everyone wrote: »
    Yes they are still lifelong, if you got them before a specific date you don't have to renew. IIRC, for Security+ it was anyone who had the cert prior to January 1st 2011 was grandfathered. There was a big push in the DoD to get people to finish that cert up prior to the change so that they wouldn't have to renew.
    DoD follows 8570.01, so they don't accept anything that is non-ce under the new guidelines. All DoD have to renew every 3 years.http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/dod_ia_faq.sflb.ashx

You are correct tons of DoD took it to get grandfathered.. The downside is they soon found the news from their local IA or higher headquarters that it didn't apply.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    DoD follows 8570.01, so they don't accept anything that is non-ce under the new guidelines. All DoD have to renew every 3 years.

Oh lame, when did they make these "new guidelines"? We made a big push in my ANG unit to get everybody Security+ certified to meet 8570 requirements before they changed it in an effort to avoid having to get everybody to renew every 3 years.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    The guidelines were effective 1/1/11 however local NEC's and IA didn't notify their staff of the changes. I'm assuming they didn't know all the details at the time.

DoD also has to follow Computing Environment level certs for their respective field of study. For many that would usually be the OS system they manage, ie. Vista for DoD or soon to be 7. SP Admins could however take SP exams. SA's would take MCITP SA type exams or MCSE if still on Server 03. The NA's would usually take Cisco certs. They were cracking down hard and for those who didn't have CompTIA CE AND Computing Environment for their job role, they lost admin priveledges, which came down from 7th signal.

Beginning of the year was a crazy hectic time at my installation.

IA also doesn't grant 6 month waivers for contractors when being hired anymore. So you need BOTH certs up front. That has really hurt the hiring process. For government counterparts, 8570 allows a 6 month waiver still for the Computing Environment cert.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    8570 is up for local interpitation, which is itself a joke....

I have a CISSP and C|EH and still being told I MUST renew Security+ - LOL really? At least on the up side the CPEs should all apply to each cert.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bcairns wrote: »
    8570 is up for local interpitation, which is itself a joke....

I have a CISSP and C|EH and still being told I MUST renew Security+ - LOL really? At least on the up side the CPEs should all apply to each cert.

I got told the same thing. A day after I applied for CE, paid dues, and released my certs, I got an email that IATIII certs would override level II (my initial inkling). Go figure.