Options

How to thank my references?

Some of you have noticed that I found a new job. I had to use 2 references from my current employer to get this job! Without their help and assistance I wouldn't get the job offer!

Is it OK to give them $100 each as a token of appreciation? with a thank you card?

I don't mind treating my 2 references (colleague) for dinner or something. But, everyone will know if I treat them to dinner and other colleagues might expect the same. I just don't have the ability to shell out hundreds of dollars to treat the entire department team. Should I just give them $100 to both of my references secretly with a thank you card?

Comments

• Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    It seems "extremely generous" to give cash to a colleague for being a reference. A thank you card should be more than enough. Personally, I just verbally thank references upon asking. I mean, they usually only have to take 2 minutes out of their day to say "He's great. Enjoyed working with him. I definitely think he'll be right for your organization".

I've recently used references from my current place and all they want to know is if I got the job or not. If I offered them dinner or $100 for being a reference I'm sure they'd decline and think I'm kind of weird lol. When someone agrees to be a reference they're doing it out of professionalism and not as a paid service. So keep that in mind.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    okplaya wrote: »
    It seems "extremely generous" to give cash to a colleague for being a reference. A thank you card should be more than enough. Personally, I just verbally thank references upon asking. I mean, they usually only have to take 2 minutes out of their day to say "He's great. Enjoyed working with him. I definitely think he'll be right for your organization".

I've recently used references from my current place and all they want to know is if I got the job or not. If I offered them dinner or $100 for being a reference I'm sure they'd decline and think I'm kind of weird lol. When someone agrees to be a reference they're doing it out of professionalism and not as a paid service. So keep that in mind.

Agreed.

If someone tried to give me $100 for just being a reference, it would make me feel a bit odd. You don't really want to get in to the practice of "buying" people.
  • Options
    phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I brought a glass bottle of Coke to my references last time as a thank you. They all really enjoyed it.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you do not have to but if you do feel inclined to, something along the lines of a gift voucher will be more appropriate than cash. and as it is the season for giving you could present it as a pseudo christmas present