Options

Please help! Questions regarding IE & OE

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
I have some questions I need answering to help me better understand IE & Outlook express…

1.If a user wants to block a web advert (Pop-up window) for a site they visit, would they use a Privacy settings in IE? Or would they just put the site in a restricted Internet zone?

2.Would a web advert (Pop-up window) be a third party cookie?

3.In Outlook express how would you enable a user to install a different language to use when compusing an email message?

4.When would you use IE Privacy settings?

5.When would you use IE Zones?

Comments

• Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    1. Privacy setting, it will allow 1st part cookies and block 3rd party cookies, set it as High - Med High - Medium( allow some 3rd party cookies), Low and Open the flood gates (accept all cookies).

2. That would be a pop up (ad or malware). You will need a pop-up blocker for that.

3. You need to change the Regional and Language options for Windows to add a second language. Then switch the to the appropriate language when composing the email.

4. High- allow all 1st party cookies, block all 3rd party cookies
    Medium high - all all 1st party cookies and block some 3rd cookies
    Medium - allow all 1st party cookie allow most 3rd party cookies
    Low - allow all 3rd party cookies allow all 3rd party cookies
    Accept all - open the flood gates.

5. So you can control access to websites but that can be done via the router or any internet security appliance.
    What next?
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Thank you for those answers I understand it better now.......

D-boy
  • Options
    benjiga69benjiga69 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. This questions depends upon what version of IE you are using. For the test it will most likely be the standard IE 6.0 which does not have a built-in popup blocker. However, on the version I have which is like 6.02 it has a built in popup blocker program, the program actually replaces the edit button on the IE privacy tab with a settings button and adds a sites button next to the import and advanced button on the privacy tab. But for the test disregard this info, its just an FYI. Even though the popup blocker is on the privacy tab it actually has little or nothing to do with cookies.
    2. As jmc724 has said, for malware or ads you need a popup blocker, I would not be so concerned with popups for this test.
    3. This has already been answered by jmc724 sufficiently.
    4. Use privacy settings when cookies are invovled. (memorize privacy settings). icon_idea.gif
    5. Use IE zones when Active X controls/Java are invoved.
    That which is easily obtained, is lightly esteemed!