Options

Long term effects of breaking my lease or just abandoning the apartment and leaving

You older guys know my situation isn't good, I've been depressed for ages over my situation. No kids, no wife, non I.T based job working as a scanner and my company isn't hiring I.T guys.

I'm thinking of just leaving the apartment as is and taking my computer and just hitting the road, my friend in Texas doesn't have any space but he has a couch and i could crash on that and Dallas seems like it has a better economy anyways. I know my credit will be shot but my school loans kick back in a couple months and unless I get IBR, I'll probably default.

It sounds extreme because it really is, need to get into a career and badly.

I make 13 per hour which isn't livable but it pays the bills.

You think I should just go for it? Especially if my situation down here hasn't really improved at all.
Ribs still touching....

Comments

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Would it be possible to try and sub-lease your apartment or break the lease by finding a new renter? that would be my very last resort and honestly I would most likely not do that at all. Moving to find a better job may be a great option if the market is tough where you are. What kind of experience and certs do you have? how does your resume look?

Check with your landlord and ask about sub-lease or breaking it first...that's my advice
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would not break the lease if I was you. Not worth the heartache with it. I am sorry that you are feeling depressed BUT you can change things around. Packing up and running away from your fears will not solve the issue. Take everything step by step. Once you get yourself out of this depression you will notice things will get better. The jobs are there in FL Friend of mine just got a job in FL for a fair amount of money , and all he has is an Associate's degree, couple certs, and about 2 years experience. You are the only one that can change your situation, but you can do it. And remember you are not the only one in this situation.
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    I'm 37 so I'm closing in on 40 and I'm single.. I'm pretty damn depressed.. basically all day.

I think leaving the state would be good, new people, new environment and somewhat of a fresh start... breathing new air if you know what i mean.

I just emailed my apartment building and I'm awaiting their answer, it will be a credit hit big time.

I've been down here my whole life and haven't really been happy at all, just constantly miserable bro.

A+, 2 year... about 1 year experience with contract assignments, basic help desk, not much speaking evolved... PC setup and tear down...
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much time left on your lease?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be careful about breaking a lease, find out what the penalty is first. How much longer do you have on it? If the penalty is more than the amount of time you have, it's not worth it.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    If you get pinged on your credit big time that will also have the possibility of not being able to get a job due to most employers checking credit reports now. I was in a similar situation and did what I had to do to get where I am. I worked 3 part-time jobs while putting myself through college. You are the only one that can fix the situation but making drastic changes will not always fix the situation, only moves it to a different place. You need to look at the positive things that you have going for you . If you are depressed maybe you should go talk to someone about your situation, there is help out there you just have to look for it.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    While I may not be one of the older guys, you really need to think this through.

1. What is stopping you from getting a better job in FL? Have you put your resume out/had TE critique it?
    2. What is your plan once getting to Dallas? Your friend isn't going to let you live on the couch forever. People quickly wear out their welcome.
    3. Do you have the money to pick up and move? It costs money to move everything. You probably have more stuff than you think.
    4. If you are set on moving to Texas, try to get a job there first. Don't just pick up and move without looking. That is dangerous.
  • Options
    I'm 37 so I'm closing in on 40 and I'm single.. I'm pretty damn depressed.. basically all day.

I think leaving the state would be good, new people, new environment and somewhat of a fresh start... breathing new air if you know what i mean.

I just emailed my apartment building and I'm awaiting their answer, it will be a credit hit big time.

I've been down here my whole life and haven't really been happy at all, just constantly miserable bro.

A+, 2 year... about 1 year experience with contract assignments, basic help desk, not much speaking evolved... PC setup and tear down...

I don't think there is anything wrong with moving at all, its a big country why not see what else is out there? with that being said make sure you can get out of the lease without torpedoing your credit. Also you might want to try and start studying for a professional level cert (Cisco,M$) that will help you specialize in IT, that's where the real fun/money is. I think buckling down and focusing on studying may help get your mind off some of the negatives in your life as well...trust me walking out of the testing center with a pass is a hell of a "pick me up"!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    august 2012...
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Seriously. It's never too late, unless your over 50. The army will teach you about a job that you choose. It's done amazing for me. I did 4 years and no more than 2 years after getting out I landed a Junior Network Engineer position. 2 years later and now I'm senior. This would do multiple things.

Get you OUT of your current situation.
    Get you training in a field of your choosing.
    Get you physically fit, which will help your overall mental health.
    And a plethora of other things.

Also, if that's too extreme, tell your sad story to the leasing office. Often times, I've found that they are human. And that they are willing to work with people in bad situations. They dont want to have to deal with a dirt bag packing up and leaving. It's easier to change a date here or there and let you go. Maybe for a fee, but less than the overall horribleness you'd encounter doing it the way you described.

Also, CTFD. Life is never as bad as people make it seem. Shits rough for everyone. You have a place to live and your able to feed yourself. Do you know how many people think your living the dream?
  • Options
    While I may not be one of the older guys, you really need to think this through.

1. What is stopping you from getting a better job in FL? Have you put your resume out/had TE critique it?
    2. What is your plan once getting to Dallas? Your friend isn't going to let you live on the couch forever. People quickly wear out their welcome.
    3. Do you have the money to pick up and move? It costs money to move everything. You probably have more stuff than you think.
    4. If you are set on moving to Texas, try to get a job there first. Don't just pick up and move without looking. That is dangerous.

Well, to be blunt i was just gonna bring my computers and myself and take off, call a friend and tell him it's free furniture for him and his family and move on. I don't have much money to go, my income pays my bills but can't do much else. I planned to just get there and flip burgers if i have too.

I know it makes no sense at all but happiness is very important.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with moving at all, its a big country why not see what else is out there? with that being said make sure you can get out of the lease without torpedoing your credit. Also you might want to try and start studying for a professional level cert (Cisco,M$) that will help you specialize in IT, that's where the real fun/money is. I think buckling down and focusing on studying may help get your mind off some of the negatives in your life as well...trust me walking out of the testing center with a pass is a hell of a "pick me up"!

I know, the funny thing is I'm so stressed I can't even focus correctly.. i constantly worry and rant online to total strangers (see above).

It's something about no getting laid after a while that makes you feel depressed, combined with money issues and you'll be ready to jump off a bridge.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    I work out 3 times a week, it helps... no army due to sickle cell beta thallesmia (Google)

I'm done posting, I woke up upset...
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    CTFD. Life is never as bad as people make it seem. Shits rough for everyone.
  • Options
    I know, the funny thing is I'm so stressed I can't even focus correctly.. i constantly worry and rant online to total strangers (see above).

It's something about no getting laid after a while that makes you feel depressed, combined with money issues and you'll be ready to jump off a bridge.

Cant make an omelet without breaking an egg bro...stop feeling sorry for your self and get some better certs and land a better job.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
  • Options
    CCNET? abandon n+? or MCTIP?
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    Only YOU can change the situation. If you are worried about not having money get another job, possibly as a bartender so you can meet some people and start networking with people. Get Certs No one can fix this but you
  • Options
    CCNET? abandon n+? or MCTIP?

What do you want to do? Servers? Networks?

I'd skip N+. Too much BS. CCNET is a great start for networking. And you can immediately move into CCNA. Its hard, but it's doable as self study. I'm not familiar with the MCTIP track, but I've heard it's wanted and good knowledge for server folks.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    No offense but that really sounds like a horrible idea. You think it's bad now? -You could very easily end up homeless without a roof over your head by doing this.

If you want to move then save up some money to do so first. I'm sure you could cut your costs down if you really tried. Get a roommate, eat cheaper, turn down the heat, downgrade vehicles or do whatever it takes! Remember, you're still making well over double the federal poverty line for a single family household and should be able to live on it.

With that said, there are usually ways to break lease without hurting your credit. Just work with your landlord and let them know what's going on. To get out of one of my leases I just had to pay a $50 sub-lease fee and they found someone else to take over my lease within 15 days.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185

The problem I have with just up and moving is, will you be any happier flipping burgers? Because if you go this route, you may end up in fast food for a while before you can actually find something you want to do.

I'm not trying to be mean or an ass, I'm just saying, you need to have a set plan on what you are going to do. You need to ask yourself the questions "What do I want to do?", "Where do I want to go", "What do I want to be when I grow up?", "What am I best at?", etc. I know personally, I would not be very happy flipping burgers or really doing anything in fast food. Most likely you are going to take a pay cut by going to fast food as well.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You want to know the long term effects?

I took the advice of my parents and broke the lease on an apartment I was sharing with my sister. Long story short her constant fighting with her boyfriend got us enough noise complaints and police visits to be evicted. I was going to get my own place originally but my parents convinced me to get a place with my sister so I could drive her to work. My mom cosigned on the lease so my dad, in an attempt to get her name off the lease, got into an arguement with my landlord. Afterwards he told me that they were going to take our rent money and then evict us for the noise complaints and that the eviction was in the process of being filed with the county clerk. I took my Dads advice and got another place. Now over one year later, I can't find anyone else that will rent to me with that eviction for non payment of rent. I can't help but think that the eviction wouldn't look as bad if it weren't for non payment of rent. Even the place that I moved into wanted to do another background check before letting me renew and they were already raising the rent just because. Now I'm forced to rent a room in someone else's house and most likely live out of a motel when my unborn child is born unless I can find an affordable duplex or house or something.

Sure I could probably find a place that would rent to me if I paid first month, last month and a ridiculously high deposit but who has that kind of money in this economy? I don't even make 13/hr and I'm in florida too. The economy is a lot better in Texas and I wouldn't be against moving there either but don't take your credit so lightly. Life will be a lot harder when you try to settle down if your credit isn't that good. Especially when it comes to rental history. Right now it's so hard for me to just live, and it's not even like I don't have a steady income.

Edit: I guess that was the long story.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, to be blunt i was just gonna bring my computers and myself and take off, call a friend and tell him it's free furniture for him and his family and move on. I don't have much money to go, my income pays my bills but can't do much else. I planned to just get there and flip burgers if i have too.

I know exactly how you feel. I just moved to a city outside of Tampa and it feels like life is so much better. It's almost like the economy is better in this one little city outside of Tampa. Location is everything but don't screw yourself over in the long run. It's not just your credit that's taking a hit. Having a bad rental history can be very depressing seeing as most of the places you can afford at less that 13/hr are going to be apartment complexes that do rental background checks. They can see exactly what apartment complex you owe money to.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't do it ... I lease from a real estate attorney and the first thing she asked me when interested in the place was "Do you have any evictions or non-payments? Because if you do I will find them."

Improve yourself while in your current situation and then move on after the lease is up. Things WILL get better eventually, you just have to make it happen.