Options

Signed contract for company paid courses?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your take on this is as i know many will have come across or have experienced this. My company in the UK is sending alot of people on courses but they want us to sign 18 month agreements, so if we leave in that period we will have to pay X amount towards the course fee. The value decrements as time passes. For example, im due for 2-3 courses possibly next year, each at a minimum of £2k a pop + expenses. If it were out of my own pocket i would never do it, unless it was for something like VCP or a CCIE course. If this is a requirement then im highly unlikely willing to go ahead with this and everyone else ive spoke to has also agreed. Im not sure it will go down well with management for anyone who says no.

Has anyone done this before and left before the period ended? is it even a binding legal doc? what has been your outcomes in this situation?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I've seen similar, but this seems a little extreme. If they are requiring you to go to these courses, I don't think you should have to sign anything like that. I haven't seen that before. What I have seen, is if you take any kind of tuition reimbursement, or reimbursement for certifications, then you have to sign something saying you will stay with the company for a specified period of time, leaving early would require you to pay it back.

I think about the worse they can do, is take it out of any remaining pay you might have when you leave.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've heard of it and have had to do it before. Basically the company doesn't want to spring for someone to take a class on their (company's) dime, then up and leave. The company wants some sort of ROI, in this case they want you to stick around for some time after they pay for the class.

Personally I have no problem with a company doing this, as I said the company is just trying to protect themselves. That being said, why are you so against it? Is it more of a principle, or are you planning on jumping ship after the class?

As for is it legal, I'm not an attorney so I don't know. If you were to leave, they could/would just garnish the the amount you "owe" them for the class from your final paycheck. You could then get an attorney and try to sue them for that amount, but in the end you may pay more for the attorney than what you would get back if you won.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My old company had me sign a two year thing in exchange for a $4,000 training. Worst case scenario If I left within 2 years I had to reimburse them the $4,000 and just as your case it was prorated after sometime. In contrast, my new employer just spent $5,000 in training and did not have me sign anything. I completely understand them trying to protect their investment.
  • Options
    like i said in the OP, i can understand them wanting to protect their investment. But these are courses i wouldnt pay that amount of money for and have no choice in what courses are chosen. Thats why im against it. They are good topics but i dont believe a 3-5 day course warrants that amount of cash. if/when i come to studying them then it will most likely be self study like my other certs.

Like i said, if it were towards something like the IE for example, i would have no problem doing so.

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    If they prorate the amount, that's not too bad. My last employer would reimburse exam fees only and we would have to pay it all back if we left in less than 6 months. My current employer is pretty much the same. They will reimburse my expenses for tuition and books towards a degree but will not do so for certifications. If I leave before 12 months after the course finishes, I have to pay it all back.

However, If you don't want to the training for your own career, and it isn't mandatory for you to keep your job, I would pass on it. I took a couple of Access classes when I took this job that the company paid for and now it totally interferes with my job duties. Always people asking me to fix this or that in their database. I really couldn't care less about DBA. They want me to take a VBA course now and I have "not been able to schedule the courses."
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had an employer who did that to me for school reimbursement. I had to pay back 2500 dollars. I accepted a job offer that paid me 30K extra a year so I was like lol yeah right like im turning that down to avoid paying back 2500.
  • Options
    thanks for the input.

Despite it being pro-rated i have decided that i dont think it would be best for me. Its just to much cash for courses that are not my choice and dont think it would be a wise investment. Should be interesting the outcome for those who decline signing this. Hopefully it wont cause too much hassle.

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't sign a contract for anything they are requiring. Period. If it is something I beg them for, that is one thing, but a requirement is not in the same league.