Options

Associate Degree and Entry Level Job

BacsiloveBacsilove Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can an associate degree (IT related) and certs get you a job in the IT industry today?

I've read from numerous sources and majority of them are stating that a B.S is needed for entry level IT job nowadays. Judging for jobs listing online it does seem pretty accurate. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Entry level what? Call center, helpdesk, as far as I have seen, do not require a completed BS degree in most cases.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    You don't need any degree for a lot of entry level IT jobs. Sure the more education you have the better but they're entry level for a reason.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I got my my first IT job ( help desk) with just a A+....I had a degree in a unrelated field as well but I don't think it helped me ether way. There where a lot of people in that call center with out degrees or certs.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perhaps it's different in other areas, but I was able to get a systems administration job with an AAS. To be fair, I had some [contractor/self employed] experience to show for, but plenty of jobs (even mid-high level) will accept you as long as you know your stuff. That said, I had plenty of friends in college who had no problem finding a job outside of school, regardless of experience. Heck, a lot of help desk jobs will accept you with just some certs and a high school diploma. The idea that you would need a BS to work an entry level position is... well, BS.

Edit: Just something else to add; I think HR would be kidding themselves if they think a BS would actually translate to a better worker or something. I could transfer to the U of A and finish my BS in Network Administration in just 2 additional years. 24 of the credit hours are core classes (math, technical writing), 21 of the credit hours are humanities, and only 15 credit hours are actually networking related classes. I don't see how that would contribute much of anything to my ability as an administrator. Looks good on paper, but when it comes right down to it, there's a lot of unnecessary hype about degrees.
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just landed my first entry level job two months ago doing a sort of mix up of everything. I was actually still finishing getting my AS degree when they hired me (I just finished a few days ago). Other then that the only certs i have are the CCNA and CCENT so it is very possible to get an entry job today with only an AS and certs. I have also had a few calls and emails from people who have seen my resume on Monster.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm an UNIX sys admin with only an A.A.S. When I started at the company I am with, I was in operations support, and was still in school working on the degree. I was able to advance without a higher degree, but it would be harder these days... That's why I'm starting with WGU in January.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!