Options

Uh-oh! Need info

keithgodseykeithgodsey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all.

I'm brand new to this kind of thing (forums, etc.), so please bear with me. icon_wink.gif

I've just gotten into the IT thing, I took an A+ class back in 01, but my daughter was born the following month, so I put on hold trying to get certified. I've recently tried to start studying again, but I have to admit I'm a little intimidated. The class wasn't all that in depth, but that may have just been 'cause I was new at the IT game.

I'm just wondering what advice anyone has as far as the exam, cartiification in general, and also what do companies prefer? Cerification?
Degree? It seems to me like it just depends on the company.

Also, what study guides should I buy? (if any) I bought the meyers book back in '01, and it has helped, but I have seen some pracice questions that wasn't covered, but reading these forums, I get the idea that's not uncommon. :D .

Any help would be appreciated to this lost soul icon_wink.gif

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    i would say buy some sort of review material, like the passport or exam cram. and it is not common to see some questions that were not covered in the books, just do some research on the question.
    also take the practice test on this website to see where you stand. if you get 70% then you just need a review, if you get 90% well you need just a little work, but if you get 20% well you need to study that book again icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    the "better jobs" will look for a degree normally, as well as mcse and/or ccna.

i found a+ "intimidating" too, but as it was my first cert, i had a full-time job, a family and hadn't been to school for the guts of twenty years, i decided to take my time and become familiar with the concepts, rather thay trying to hurry the thing.

with my other commitments, it took me a year from the moment i opened my first book until i walked out of the test centre after my second exam. i feel i could have done it in three months, but, man, there's more to life than certs!

the microsoft exams, on the otherhand, could be a different story...
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    keithgodseykeithgodsey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips.

I know the MCSE looks better than just A+, I was just considering going back to school, and I didn't know whether to concentrate on degrees, certs, or both. icon_lol.gif

I'm still in the process of studying, I need work on the OS though.

Is it true they're changing the format of the exam to be written?
    I've heard that rumour before, but didn't give it much thought.
    I was also considering taking the certs in order, (network+, thru MCSE)
    are they adaptive as well?

Anyways thanks for the help once again.

Just call me the rookie. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i don't think a+ will change to be written. too hard to mark, when you got tens of thousands of people doing it each year. the advanced cisco exams may have written elements. they certainly have practicals, i hear.

adaptive testing didn't seem to catch on. network+ and some microsoft exams were talked about going adaptive, but as a+ seems to be reverting back to traditional testing, i can't see any other exams going adaptive in the future.

best of luck
    A+ Moderator