Options

SAN certs, are they worth it?

In my particular area I get a lot of talk from headhunters about EMC and Netapp. I'd like to do the NetApp because we had them at my last company, but I remember it being fairly expensive. Are there any SAN certs out there worth the time and money would you guys just wait till you were at a company that required it and take them then?

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If you have SAN on your resume, you'll get quite a few hits from Recruiters. I have an old "Dell SAN Solutions Provider" cert, some EMC experience, and some NetApp experience. Just having those 3 things on my resume gets me a bunch of recruiters contacting me for storage jobs.

I can't say that I remember any of the jobs they sent me saying anything about requiring any storage certs. Obviously it wouldn't hurt to have them, but I don't think people are looking for them either, they're looking for the real world experience.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Ya, that's what I was thinking. I just wish I could learn the product without having to get a job where I work on it.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    Ya, that's what I was thinking. I just wish I could learn the product without having to get a job where I work on it.
    Do you have a NetApp at work? NetApp provides a simulator that their customers can download for learning and testing.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have EMC certifications, and while the deal isn't "done" yet, I'm pretty close to landing a job in which being certified in SAN was a big deal to the decision makers... despite the fact they are a NetApp shop.

I would say that it really isn't for the entry-level admin just yet, but judging from your list of certs I don't think that applies to you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...