Options

vMA command help

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've always used SSH into ESXi host vs. vMA. Now I'm trying to follow best practice by using vMA. I'm having a devil of a time trying to change the MTU using vMA. Using SSH the command to change MTU is esxcfg-vmknic -m 9000 <Port Group> or esxcfg-vmknic -m 9000 -v <DVPort> -s <DVS name>. I've tried several different variation using vicfg and none of it works.

Vaguely remember reading something about MTU change being unsupported feature. Maybe I just need to do it using SSH.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    I've always used SSH into ESXi host vs. vMA. Now I'm trying to follow best practice by using vMA. I'm having a devil of a time trying to change the MTU using vMA. Using SSH the command to change MTU is esxcfg-vmknic -m 9000 <Port Group> or esxcfg-vmknic -m 9000 -v <DVPort> -s <DVS name>. I've tried several different variation using vicfg and none of it works.

Vaguely remember reading something about MTU change being unsupported feature. Maybe I just need to do it using SSH.

I used PowerCLI to change the MTU on ESXi hosts.

$vswitch = New-VirtualSwitch -Host <IP> -Name VSwitch
    Set-VirtualSwitch -VirtualSwitch $vswitch -MTU 9000
  • Options
    vCole wrote: »
    I used PowerCLI to change the MTU on ESXi hosts.

$vswitch = New-VirtualSwitch -Host <IP> -Name VSwitch
    Set-VirtualSwitch -VirtualSwitch $vswitch -MTU 9000

Don't use PowerCLI, but it looks like that command changes the MTU of the vSwitch, not the vmk.
  • Options
    Don't use PowerCLI, but it looks like that command changes the MTU of the vSwitch, not the vmk.

I've done it with the vmk as well. We found this to be the easiest way. (Setup a whole PowerCLI script to deploy ESXi servers)
  • Options
    vCole wrote: »
    I've done it with the vmk as well. We found this to be the easiest way. (Setup a whole PowerCLI script to deploy ESXi servers)

I'll look into PowerCLI. I went and temporarily enabled SSH and changed the vmk MTU via putty then disabled SSH. It was easier than banging my head against vMA.
  • Options
    I'll look into PowerCLI. I went and temporarily enabled SSH and changed the vmk MTU via putty then disabled SSH. It was easier than banging my head against vMA.

I'll see if I can find the code that was used.