Options

Help with VCP 510

ysfsearcherysfsearcher Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Team

Thank you for this forum.
Actually i'm preparing myself for VCP 510 ; for that i bought trainsignal vcp510 TRAINING 3 dvds in all.

My question is it sufficent ?
Could you recommend me something else , a pdf book or something ?

Many thanks for your ASAP replys
YOussef

Comments

• Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you attended the pre-requisite official training?

Take a look at the VCP5 tab on my blog for some useful info: VMware Training and Certification

Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    Hi Scott

i did not attended pre-requisite official training
    But i've bough the training materiel and i'm going on

on the internet there is a book from yours part "Mastering.VMware.vSphere.5"
    I 'm asking from where could i get a PDF version please

Youssef
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can take the test, but to be officially certified, you MUST take official VMware authorized training. There are plenty of week-long courses out there, if money isn't any issue. If money is tight, there are two online courses offered through universities that have been outlined in this thread: Inexpensive VMware Training Options.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    You cannot get certified if you don't attend official training either directly with VMware, with a VATC, or with an Academy partner.

And you're asking for a PDF of a book which is copyrighted material, which I would have to say is immoral and illegal.

Scott.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    With regard to the Scott28tt post you really should purchase the pdf version. According to Scott Lowe that version is available. Check out his blog at:
    Mastering VMware vSphere 5 Now Available - blog.scottlowe.org - The weblog of an IT pro specializing in virtualization, storage, and servers
    If you can find an employer that will pay for the training good luck. You may luck out by finding a class that is not full, VMware usually discounts the class by 30% in order to fill the seats. Check that out here:
    VMware Training Promotions

I have found that people have gotten jobs based on the fact that they have passed the test without the prerequisite course. VMware is doing a shitty job of marketing the VCP Certificate if the only tangible benefit to it is the "free" workstation license and the ability to say "I payed for the class" and have a piece of paper to prove it. Especially since the class doesn't cover enough material to actually pass the test. The workstation license is $180. Go buy the license after you pass the exam then put passed VCP510 on your resume. Negotiate with your next employer to send you to the class.

Sorry for the rant.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    azjag wrote: »
    I have found that people have gotten jobs based on the fact that they have passed the test without the prerequisite course. VMware is doing a shitty job of marketing the VCP Certificate if the only tangible benefit to it is the "free" workstation license and the ability to say "I payed for the class" and have a piece of paper to prove it. Especially since the class doesn't cover enough material to actually pass the test. The workstation license is $180. Go buy the license after you pass the exam then put passed VCP510 on your resume. Negotiate with your next employer to send you to the class.

This is exactly why the VMware IT Academy courses are so appealing. They are relatively cheap and you also get 70% off of the VCP exam.

I am actually looking to work with my alma mater to become a participant in the VMware IT Academy and offer the course as part of their 5 week accelerated evening courses where you meet one night a week for five weeks; if necessary, it can be stretched to ten weeks as they have some classes in a ten week format, but CCC&TI's course is five weeks. Since it would be four hours per evening, it would require lots of study outside of class. Labs would also need to be done outside of class, in their entirety. The other option would be a full semester length course, but I feel that it is just too long for most folks.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    I would hope that the original poster was looking to purchase an e-book, rather than to obtain an illegal copy, if I've misinterpreted anything there I apologise. We all know that certification doesn't demonstrate experience, in the same way as we are required to take a test before being given a driving licence. VCP is of particular value to VMware partners, if non-partners decide to make it a requirement when recruiting that is of course entirely up to them.
  • Options
    hello Sirs

Thnx for all your replys :
    1- All my work is legal , i have buyed the training materiel
    2- i was just asking if the trainsignal is sufficent or not ? if not i can buy another book not getting something illegally ; is this point clear.

Thnx
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    I would hope that the original poster was looking to purchase an e-book, rather than to obtain an illegal copy, if I've misinterpreted anything there I apologise. We all know that certification doesn't demonstrate experience, in the same way as we are required to take a test before being given a driving licence. VCP is of particular value to VMware partners, if non-partners decide to make it a requirement when recruiting that is of course entirely up to them.

I probably could have been clearer in my response and said to purchase any version of the book and that there is a .pdf version available.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The e-book that Sybex/Wiley sells is in EPUB format. If it matters, an actual PDF format e-book can be purchased here:
    Mastering VMware vSphere 5 - Lowe, Scott | Ebooks | BooksOnBoard
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    The e-book that Sybex/Wiley sells is in EPUB format. If it matters, an actual PDF format e-book can be purchased here:
    Mastering VMware vSphere 5 - Lowe, Scott | Ebooks | BooksOnBoard

Thanks for sharing this link. I just did a few searches and found where my next paycheck is going.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    Don't forget that to qualify for VCP5 certification, you will have to participate in official vSphere 5 training, regardless of how many books or videos you buy. That's why I asked whether you had done that already in my first reply.

Actually, looking at your profile you say you are already a VCP4, in which case you can gain VCP5 without having to attend vSphere 5 training, but you must pass the VCP5 exam before the end of February 2012.

Scott.