Options

Are there significant differences between SY-201 and SY-301?

MagnalonMagnalon Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all - hello! I am getting ready to take SY-201 after a few months of preperation this week. As you all know, SY-201 will be retiring in a few days, so if I do not pass it, I will have to take SY-301 in the future.

Does anyone know if it's significantly different? Is there anything I should study in addition to Darill's book for SY-201 (which I have used), for the SY-301 test?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you've had enough time to study so you don't need it but here's a link to a blog I wrote on the differences between the 201 and 301 exam.
    Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences

Good luck,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    Thank you for the response Darril - if I do not pass, I'll go ahead and pick up your SYO-301 book and read up before taking it again.

I just wanted to know what to look for in terms of differences, and I appreciate the link!
  • Options
    REDROKER77REDROKER77 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Magnalon,
    When are you taking your test? If you already took it, how was it?
  • Options
    I took it today - just got back. Passed with a 832!

I can't stress enough how much Darril's book helped (thank you Darril!). Additionally, I studied using a Security+ SY0-201 App (that will be out of date tomorrow) on the iPhone that had 200 questions, in addition to some practice questions from various other "Professor" esque websites.

Now, onto Network+! Suffice to say I'm a bit more scared of this one, considering that is no Darril book, but I'm hoping to get it in the next few months. Onto uncharted territory!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass and glad the book helped. Best of luck on the Network+.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass! I haven't taken it yet, but to anyone that asks me about Security + prep, I always recommend Darril's site and books.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Magnalon wrote: »
    I took it today - just got back. Passed with a 832!

I can't stress enough how much Darril's book helped (thank you Darril!). Additionally, I studied using a Security+ SY0-201 App (that will be out of date tomorrow) on the iPhone that had 200 questions, in addition to some practice questions from various other "Professor" esque websites.

Now, onto Network+! Suffice to say I'm a bit more scared of this one, considering that is no Darril book, but I'm hoping to get it in the next few months. Onto uncharted territory!

Thanks again!

You are doing the reverse of me. I am working on Security now after finishing Network+. I would suggest Mike Meyer's book if you are looking for a network+ book. He does a great job in both A+ and Network+. Or you could use an alternate route and use sybex which some people have suggested.

For me, I used 3 sources for network:

1) Mike Meyers All In One Book for Network+ It's the N10-004 version, but apparently there's also N10-005, depending which one you wanna do.

2) Mike Harwood's exam cram book. (This book is very efficient in summarizing all the topics together.) It doesn't do a great job in subnetting, but if you read my other post, I didn't get any sub netting questions on the exam.

3) Professor Messer's video

That's all I used.

Any tips for security? In btw, I also order Gibson book. I'm planning to use his 2 books and messer videos. Hopefully that is good enough
  • Options
    Darril's book is all you need really, but I'd recommend getting an app or two for practice. Also, Professor Messer/free online tests don't hurt.