Options

Passed SYO-301 today, I need help with hands on experience while searching for a job

coreyjtcoreyjt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the test today. 859 out of 900. I used Darril Gibsons [h=1]CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide and the Kindle version.[/h]
Thanks for all your help, Darril. I really appreciate it.

Now, I'm about to start looking for a job and need more hands on experience as opposed to study material and questions.

I've got GNS3, Cisco's Packet Tracer and some router sims. Although all are good for networking, they really don't address what a Security Administrator or Engineer would be doing on a day to day basis.

What would you suggest that I do to prepare for the workforce?

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass, and yes, Darril's books are awesome!

I am not in Security, but, from what I have read, it would make sense to setup a test environment (VMs) and basically practice some of the concepts that you learned while studying for the Security + (for instance, try to find the locally cached password of one of your VMs, and see if you can prevent it from being discovered through such a thing as a brute force attack, etc.).

Just my two cents! :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on the pass. Great score and I'm glad the book helped.

You might like to check out some other forums on this site beyond the Security+ forum for other ideas http://www.techexams.net/forums/. There are many talented people that regularly post in several forums here that help people get a better idea of what they're really trying to do and provide great insight into what they can do to get there. Think about what type of job you're looking for and then read some of the forums in that area.

HTH and good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    coreyjtcoreyjt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will look around in the forums for more direction.

Thanks again.