Options

Starting WGU MS:ISA in January!

Hey all, I am now officially enrolled in the program. If anybody that is currently or has previously done this program would like to share any tips or advice, it would be most welcomed.

Pretty excited to start and get back to the books. Been working for a couple years and oddly enough I miss school. =)
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on enrolling. Have you done some research before you enroll the program? Many here would have recommended you to complete some of the low-level courses at your own expense (like COV2) before enrolling, so you can save money and time and graduate sooner. You are allowed to transfer certs to get waived from some applicable courses. Well, good luck on your endeavor! More will chime in soon.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats on enrolling. Have you done some research before you enroll the program? Many here would have recommended you to complete some of the low-level courses at your own expense (like COV2) before enrolling, so you can save money and time and graduate sooner. You are allowed to transfer certs to get waived from some applicable courses. Well, good luck on your endeavor! More will chime in soon.

None of the certs are too imposing in the Master's program. I've heard the EDRP is annoying, but it's supposed to be eliminated for future enrollments. The CCNA was required, but they dropped that down to the CCENT, so that shouldn't be much of an issue, either.

As far as certs, not too sure any of them in the program will be that imposing, to be honest. I already contacted the mentor to let them know I'm interested in the Network Management program, but if I progress along too far in this program, it'll be too late to do that one instead, as I would not want to do double work (so far, the most I'd lose would be the time spent studying on the C|EH, and everything else would transfer over.) Of course, if it's late spring or summer before they get the program ready, it'll be too late, as I may have passed too many classes then to re-align the major, as I don't want to extend my end date.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248

Hey hiddenknight thanks for the response. Yes I have done plenty of research, that is how I came upon these forums a couple months back. Money is not really an issue for me as I am a Vet and have the military paying my tuition. =) I didn't have any courses waived as the only cert I have is A+ and didn't expect any of the graduate level courses to be waived as I have never done graduate level work.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    instant000 wrote: »
    None of the certs are too imposing in the Master's program. I've heard the EDRP is annoying, but it's supposed to be eliminated for future enrollments. The CCNA was required, but they dropped that down to the CCENT, so that shouldn't be much of an issue, either.

As far as certs, not too sure any of them in the program will be that imposing, to be honest. I already contacted the mentor to let them know I'm interested in the Network Management program, but if I progress along too far in this program, it'll be too late to do that one instead, as I would not want to do double work (so far, the most I'd lose would be the time spent studying on the C|EH, and everything else would transfer over.) Of course, if it's late spring or summer before they get the program ready, it'll be too late, as I may have passed too many classes then to re-align the major, as I don't want to extend my end date.

Yeah I was kind of disappointed they decreased the amount and difficulty of certs required. Are you in the old program or the new program? Do you have any recommendation for order of class's take?

I also heard the network MS was starting this next summer, but I like doing security. I feel like specialization is important in this job market and that having a skill will land you a job. Hopefully....
    Never stop learning.