Multicast & PIM Dense Mode

ITtech2010ITtech2010 MemberMember Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I started working at a company as a Network Admin. It's a good job, a bit of a challenge and it's my first Networking job. My manager a Network Engineer wants me to learn Multicasting and PIM Dense Mode and IGMP Snooping. I've tried googling the information but it's just not clicking for me. Like I have the type of boss where if he asks me about say Multicast he doesn't just want "oh it's a series of msgs blah blah blah" But the whole IGMP process ect.....He doesn't have a lot of time to work on all multicast issues where there's a lot of gaps in the multicast feed. Does anyone have any sites that will bring the concept in my head?

I' want to make sure i understand it and I been slacking on my CCNP studies because I feel i need to learn my job first then prepare for CCNP but I need to learn HSRP, VRRP, Layer 3 switch. A whole lot and I want to learn as much as i can before he comes back from vacation on tuesday. Any help/sites that will break it down in simple terms i'd appreciate it a whole bunch.:)

Comments

  • nethackernethacker Senior Member Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITtech2010 wrote: »
    Hi all,

    I started working at a company as a Network Admin. It's a good job, a bit of a challenge and it's my first Networking job. My manager a Network Engineer wants me to learn Multicasting and PIM Dense Mode and IGMP Snooping. I've tried googling the information but it's just not clicking for me. Like I have the type of boss where if he asks me about say Multicast he doesn't just want "oh it's a series of msgs blah blah blah" But the whole IGMP process ect.....He doesn't have a lot of time to work on all multicast issues where there's a lot of gaps in the multicast feed. Does anyone have any sites that will bring the concept in my head?

    I' want to make sure i understand it and I been slacking on my CCNP studies because I feel i need to learn my job first then prepare for CCNP but I need to learn HSRP, VRRP, Layer 3 switch. A whole lot and I want to learn as much as i can before he comes back from vacation on tuesday. Any help/sites that will break it down in simple terms i'd appreciate it a whole bunch.:)
    i would say you have a lot of study to do.However, i would advise you to read IP multicasting.
    Multicast Part 1 - Intro - YouTube . you can start from there and also spend time LABBING.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks I will do that. I'm checking out the youtube videos now. The IP multicasting group your referring to is from cisco?? I just found that one right now....Also i have to get use to Wireshark. Is there a wireshark book or cbt i can watch as well to get familiar with it?
  • nethackernethacker Senior Member Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITtech2010 wrote: »
    Thanks I will do that. I'm checking out the youtube videos now. The IP multicasting group your referring to is from cisco?? I just found that one right now....Also i have to get use to Wireshark. Is there a wireshark book or cbt i can watch as well to get familiar with it?

    You can try this video Introduction to Wireshark (Part 1 of 3) - YouTube
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nethacker wrote: »

    Thanks Nethacker. I will do some more studying once i get home. The videos on multicast helped!
  • nethackernethacker Senior Member Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITtech2010 wrote: »
    Thanks Nethacker. I will do some more studying once i get home. The videos on multicast helped!
    You are welcome. We all need to grow,especially in this current dynamic IT world.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
Sign In or Register to comment.