Options

Is there anyone who landed cisco job without experience

mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi

I want to know that is there anyone or you know anyone who has got the cisco job without experince.
I mean if the job applications say that x years experience required but person who applied does not have nay but only certifications.

I know its very unlikely but anything can happen. SO i just want to know. May be they need someone urgently or may that position is vacant for long time. I know that everyone wants perfect person but it does not happen always.

So i just want to know possibility is there or not. I am not talking about entry positions.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    never focus on the "X number of years" blah blah blah especially when it comes to what appear to be entry level positions. put your resume in and see what happens.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The worst thing that can happen to you is that you don't get the job. I don't think you would burn bridges that way if your resume merely get tossed in the bins, unless you lie your way through several interviews. So rather than wasting your time asking around here and wait for perhaps the same replies, you should go ahead apply for the position.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Anything is possible. What you want to know if how PROBABLE it is. The truth is that we can tell you what we've seen but what you experience may be totally different. As you said, someone could be in a hurry to hire someone or may really like you. Some companies have the time to train candidates, other don't. Hiddenknight821 is right. Just go ahead and apply. Otherwise you will never know.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Apply for every job going that you think you could do. It is up to them to decide if they think you will actually be able to do it.

My first full time Cisco (and IT) job they said that they liked that I had little experience but a good aptitude as it let them "mold" me. I'm not too sure how well they succeeded. :p
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It never hurts to apply for a job even if you're not fully qualified.

That said, if you've never held a network related position, getting a position outside of an entry level one could be a challenging task. There's nothing wrong with an "entry level" position. A friend of mine applied for a Cisco networking job with an ISP. If I recall correctly, the ad listed CCNA and 0-5 years of experience as requirements, so it could be classified as entry level. He interviewed, got the job, and essentially all he does is monitor equipment and assist in network migrations in an NOC. He makes excellent money (more than I do), and he didn't even hold a CCNA, doesn't have a degree in IT (although he does have a general AA) and only had previous experience in a Microsoft contracted call center.

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect a senior level position in a prestige field without any experience, or extensive knowledge of the subject matter. Looking at your previous posts, you have indicated you have previous experience in systems administration. If that's really the case, don't be concerned about it. You could acquire a position without experience, but it would certainly help if you know the material. I would personally be more concerned about life AFTER the job interview.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    The people that write most of these job descriptions and 'requirements' aren't familiar with what the acronyms even stand for. Other times, they put ridiculous requirements on the table to filter out those without experience at all. Like yourself for instance, you're afraid to even apply. You have to just take a chance though and put yourself out there. I've a few friends with resumes on a few websites. They go from job to job. Looking for the right one. Companies outsource their hiring these days to other companies that are supposed to know a good candidate when they see one. However, in my experience, they aren't much better. In actual interviews, 80% of the interviews have been about who I am and what I'm about. Not so much my technical know how. They want a new member of a team. Not some know it all POS who isn't a team player or who they wouldn't want to work with. So think about that.
  • Options
    Also...

I've never been at a new job, and they expected me to know everything. You have at least 3 months to become familiar with how THEY do things. Impress them as a person, have a little technical knowledge to back yourself, and most of all, let them know you want to pursue a career and grow with their company. It's these types of comments that make you stand out as a candidate. Even if other candidates have more knowledge than you, if they get the notion that you are in this for the long run, they will be more willing to bring you on board.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Trifidw wrote: »

My first full time Cisco (and IT) job they said that they liked that I had little experience but a good aptitude as it let them "mold" me. I'm not too sure how well they succeeded. :p

Kind of how I caught my break. I was in Operations for a contact center that provides Tier 1 tech support. Was likable by the IT dept. as I generally resolved my own issues or didn't annoy them by pestering them about how I am good with computers and should get a job with them. They had an opening so they gave me a shot, next week the SVP/CTO has a meeting with me to find out my aptitude with a particular system and bam, went from being in Operations to a trial DST role to Jr System Admin role all in under 2 weeks. Hoping to move into a Network/Security Engineer role in 2012 after 2 years of being in my Jr System (3 months) > System Admin role.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    never focus on the "X number of years" blah blah blah especially when it comes to what appear to be entry level positions. put your resume in and see what happens.

x2. That's how I got my start. Take a chance.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I landed my first IT job based on reliable work history (worked in grocery for a few years while in school), interest in technology as evidenced by a nearly completed degree, and a freshly minted CCNA certificate, with not a whit of experience. Of course, I was only getting $10/hr at the time. There were a couple of Cisco routers in the mix, but that ended up not being my primary function when it was all said and done.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Little to no experience = an excuse for employers to pay you less. Which for some, may ultimately be the most important issue. Not necessarily a bad thing if your issue is to just land a job/your first job. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Little to no experience = an excuse for employers to pay you less. Which for some, may ultimately be the most important issue. Not necessarily a bad thing if your issue is to just land a job/your first job. ;)
    Do i need to tell him that you can pay me less?
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Never ever tell an employer that you're willing to do the job for less money. That just shows that you're desperate.
  • Options
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Never ever tell an employer that you're willing to do the job for less money. That just shows that you're desperate.

Ever

Really
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    mirror51 wrote: »
    hi

I want to know that is there anyone or you know anyone who has got the cisco job without experince.
    I mean if the job applications say that x years experience required but person who applied does not have nay but only certifications.

I know its very unlikely but anything can happen. SO i just want to know. May be they need someone urgently or may that position is vacant for long time. I know that everyone wants perfect person but it does not happen always.

So i just want to know possibility is there or not. I am not talking about entry positions.

Do you mean no direct Cisco experience ? My first network gig I moved from desk side to the company's network team and I know a lot of people who did the same. From there you have the stats and can most likely get a Cisco gig pretty easily. I also know people on contracts that got Cisco jobs with only desktop/help desk on there resume and no prior direct Cisco experience...so its basically up to the individual and the situation
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did (without Cisco experience). A noc position opened up in my next of the woods and I told them I would get CCNA (had A+ and N+ at the time).
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I landed my 1st one with no experience outside of a lab and 3 months of answering phones at a NOC. I did put in everything that NOC did on my resume and was able to speak about it. I don't recommend that to everyone.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Do i need to tell him that you can pay me less?

lol no. I am just saying that once in a blue moon (and depending on the employer's priorities) it could come down to this. Maybe not necessarily in the CISCO line of work.

And on the flipside, you don't always get hired because of your magnetic personality either. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    I landed my 1st one with no experience outside of a lab and 3 months of answering phones at a NOC. I did put in everything that NOC did on my resume and was able to speak about it. I don't recommend that to everyone.
    I don't recommend that to everyone

ha ha why is that. Beacuse i think if we dont put in resume where there is hig experience required then i would never get a interview call
  • Options
    Also

1)How many interviews uaually happens i 1,2 or 3
    2)IN the interview they ask about concepts or approach or there is live router connected to computer or GNS for commands
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ha ha why is that. Beacuse i think if we dont put in resume where there is hig experience required then i would never get a interview call

If you don't have the experience, they'll figure it out eventually (when they call your previous employers, ask you a question in the interview, or you finally get to the job and they ask you to do something and you freeze up). It's better to be truthful.
  • Options
    Do they always call previous employer??

Well i don't want to hide the truth but if we are technically sound and we don't have anything to write in resume then we can write something to get interview. They have full right to ask questions and reject.

I mostly think of doing this when i have very less chance of getting job so that at least i can get some interview practice. because where there is chnace then i want to be as honest as i could and let them decide