Options

How much depth for the A+?

lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I am going through the Mike Myers all in one book, and on some of the items, he goes into really deep detail (for example, out of order processing on a CPU). Does the test really go to that level of detail? Some of these things seem more pertinent to a Computer Scientist, not a tech.

On another note, I am trying to get back into the IT arena after a few year absence (used to do 2nd level help desk stuff) and I really want to do networking (Network + then CCNA, then...). How important is the A+ if you are headed into that arena? My hardware skills are better than the avg person, but no-where near a tech level (or even A+). Whenever I needed to do something hardware wise, I always just read up on it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lilmansdad wrote: »
    Hello all.

I am going through the Mike Myers all in one book, and on some of the items, he goes into really deep detail (for example, out of order processing on a CPU). Does the test really go to that level of detail? Some of these things seem more pertinent to a Computer Scientist, not a tech.

I had used the Mike Meyers All In One book to pass the A+ exam when the latest exam was the 300 series. The level of detail is to help folks understand why you are being tested on a particular topic. Even though I had A+ knowledge prior to taking the exam, I had wanted to get certified in something and Mike Meyers book definitely helped me in that endeavor (and the Transcenders).

I'll say this much, after I had gotten the A+, I took Network+ a couple of weeks later. A+ definitely helped in passing that exam as well, though I did use the Network+ All in One as well. When it comes to both of these entry level CompTIA exams, Mike Meyers is just the man.

Then after you take those and pass them, you graduated to Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead Security+ 301 guide (I believe the 201 is no more starting today.) That book will be the only book you need to pass Security+.

As for your absence, you're gonna want to look for either junior-level admin work OR go back to a desktop support role. Believe it or not, a lot of stuff did change in the past few years (welcome back to technology. :) ) You're almost going to have to start over again, but it's just like riding a bike. :)