Options

The WGU Challenge - Finish in 1 term

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wowsers, congrats man. 1 term, that's some heavy stuff right there. Very inspirational, when are you planning to start your masters? Should we expect a masters challenge finish in x terms thread? :)
  • Options
    techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Just completed and submitted KFT1 task 4 last night, now to wait...
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    a.a.!4life wrote: »
    Wowsers, congrats man. 1 term, that's some heavy stuff right there. Very inspirational, when are you planning to start your masters? Should we expect a masters challenge finish in x terms thread? :)

Unfortunately, no. I will be waiting to start grad school until January or August of 2013. One reason is because this time last year, I wasn't even planning on finishing my Bachelor's so I haven't taken my GRE yet. I can take the general test at Prometric, but I also want to take the Computer Science subject test and that is only given 3 times per year, the next in October. The subject test is for me to make sure that I am up to par with other computer science graduates.

I will most likely be going online, but not to WGU. I have nothing against WGU's masters degrees, but I want to diversify my diplomas. I still need to evaluate several schools that I am on the fence about before I can say all of the schools I am going to apply to. I plan on taking a thesis degree so that I can get into a doctorate program in the future, in case I want to continue that far.

In the near future (the rest of this year), I have several things planned. I am taking the GRE at least once, the GRE Computer Science subject test in October, the CISA in December, at least one of the two LPIC-1 exams, and either ROUTE or SWITCH. I already have the books for the Linux and Cisco tests and probably won't study very much for the GRE tests. From what I have read, they seem pretty basic. I will see when my practice tests get here.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'd be curious to know which thesis degrees you were looking into.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well done on your degree
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds great man, looks like you have all your ducks lined up for total annihilation of the IT world. :) Mass props, I know you mentioned 3 schools you were interested in taking up your masters, is the GRE required for entry for those schools? Have you considered schools that don't require the GRE? Please re-consider WGU for their masters or at least an alternative as we need people like you to continue bolstering WGU's academic prowess which in turn makes all of us more employable if not already. :)
  • Options
    Some schools don't require the GRE, like my top choice Royal Hollaway, but there are a few that do. I want to apply to all of the ones that I am considering at once and play them against each other for scholarships, grants, and other perks. If I can get a really good job, there is a good chance that I will put WGU back in the mix but for now it is 2nd tier.

My requirements for a grad school are:
    1. IA focused - no breadth requirement. I consider a Master's to be a focus not a broad overview. That is what the BS is for. IA is so broad in and of itself that additional computer science requirements are ridiculous.
    2. heavy on a thesis - I love research and want to get at least waist deep into a topic. None of these 2 or 3 hour thesis 'options'.
    3. school reputation - an unfortunate necessity. Reputation doesn't always equal quality of education but it is a pretty good indicator.
    4. world class professors - I want to LEARN from professors that have been educated from all around the world.
    5. probably online - if I can get a good enough scholarship plus stipend, I will go on campus, full time, while taking a break from my job. Wouldn't mind working as a GA/TA but nothing full time.

Now after all of those items have been met, if I am accepted to multiple, I will narrow it down by out-of-pocket cost, location, time to graduate, chance of moving into a doctorate program, and maybe other things that I can't think of right now.

I will definitely not be having a finish in x terms thread. I did that for WGU because I felt I was already at that level and just needed the sheepskin to prove it.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Congrats!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bumping this thread up to mention that I am going for a 1 term BS-IT myself. My wife and I are having a baby (late February or early March) and I start at WGU in August, so the hope is to have my BS done by January. I have 43 CUs to work through (10 classes + Capstone).

My wife already knows what I'm trying to do and she supports this 100%. The only classes I'm kinda worried about are KET1/KFT1 as I have no programming experience short of doing the first few weeks of Code Year. I'm thinking of taking those first to get them out of the way as I know I will have the most study time early on in the term. I've already ordered the Deitel book mentioned elsewhere on the forums to help me get through them.

My tentative plan is something like this. Anybody with experience on these classes have suggestions on a better order or does this seem pretty realistic/logical? Keep in mind that I'll have about 30-35 hours of study time per week to start, that will likely decrease gradually as the baby draws nearer. I figure it makes sense to tackle the tougher (for me) classes earlier so I can make the most of my study time, but if anyone has better suggestions I'd like to hear them.

August:
    KET1
    KFT1
    Begin TPV1

September:
    Finish TPV1 (Project+)
    CUV1 (CIW)
    CJV1 (CIW)
    Begin BOV1

October:
    Finish BOV1 (CIW)
    BNC1
    MGC1
    RIT1

November:
    Clean up any spillover from October
    Begin Tech Writing + Capstone

December:
    Tech Writing + Capstone
  • Options
    LayOffPayOffLayOffPayOff Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to say congrats to SWILD. Unfortunately now I am officially out of the 1 term challenge, so I have much respect for all who have been able to accomplish it.

Welcome to WGU BOREDGAMELAD, your game plan looks good to me. The only tidbits of advice I have is to read this entire thread as there is lots of good info. Good Luck!
    WGU BSIT-Network Administration: March 2012 - Jan 2013
    -Courses Completed: ORA1, WFV1, COV1, CQV1, BNC1, MGC1, TPV1, DFV1, CUV1, BOV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1
    -Courses Transfered: AXV1, CPV1, CSV1, CTV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, swild. I had two colleagues that were attempting a one-term WGU MSISA, but neither accomplished it (however, one of them did do a one-term undergrad having already had an AS and most of the certifications). Keep us all posted on your graduate school endeavors.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Received my diploma yesterday. Sent regular mail and slightly bent to fit in my mailbox. It will be fine once framed.

Finally.

I have spent this whole week sending out applications. Next week I will start studying for my GRE and get into Linux again.
  • Options
    SaywhomSaywhom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    swild, I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but I was terribly busy. Congrats and well done!!! :)
  • Options
    CBaerCBaer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Swild. I've been reading this thread throughout my decision process for WGU, and have enjoyed it. I'll be trying to complete a "non associates" transfer two term challenge starting Aug 01. I only had 8 classes transfer in from my former college life in 95, but I'll be putting in 30+ hours a week, one class at a time. I hope to knock out each class in 1-2 weeks, except for the Cisco/Java classes. I want to take some extra time with those to concentrate heavily, really learn, and fill in my technical gaps. I'm excited to get started, and hope I can bear down as successfully as you did.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I've read this entire thread and feel very motivated from it. I doubt I can finish in one term, but you made me feel like I could lol. Congrats swild.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that others have been inspired by my journey.

It's been a month since I graduated and I have been putting nearly all my energy into finding a new job. I have to say that now I am out, I can't believe how much time I was putting into this program. I have so much free time now! It is doable, but it ain't easy.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    your thread and advice has helped me a great deal. My term ends 08/31 and i have 5 classes left. my goal is to finish by the end of this month.

Thank you again for all of your help and inspiration
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    lifehaggarlifehaggar Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on finishing. This is really inspiring. I'm looking into starting this coming month, but am wondering if you have to pay for the CIW, MS, etc... certification exams, or if that is covered in the tuition.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    The cost of the exams (CIW, MS,Cisco . .) are covered under your tuition for your first two attempts. If you require a third or more attempt you will have to pay WGU for those attempts not only for the certification exams but for general education objective assessments.
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Tag to save this thread. I cant wait to get started on my journey. It starts April 1st and hopefully wont take more then 3 terms.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    TKKJLTKKJL Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subscribing ... It is exciting to hear that this is possible!