Options

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 AntiVirus

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Can you guys recommend an Antivirus for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64?
I thought it is gonna be easy to find one, but unfortunately it is not.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    R2 only comes in 64bit... there's no 32bit R2. All the major players have AV for it. McAfee, Symantec, Trend Micro, etc. If you have an established relationship with an AV vendor already, I bet they have something that will work on R2 for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am at TrendMicro's website and looking at their OfficeScan. It does say that it is compatible with 2008 R2.

What do you use on your server?
    Sorry, I am not really familiar with this server stuff.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    At my office we use Trend on our Windows 2008 x64. Not sure what version it is, not at the office at the moment. But it is out there.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Most popular here are McAfee and Symantec.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Now that you mentioned Symantec, I was looking at this Endpoint v12 Endpoint Protection: Antivirus, Antispyware, Intrusion Prevention, Endpoint Security Software | Symantec

I am not sure if that will work on Server 2008 R2 x64. It does not say R2; it stated that it is compatible with Windows Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit.
    I was chatting with the sale rep and he said that it is compatible with 2008 R2, but I don't know. I trust you guys more than any sales reps.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    thehourman wrote: »
    What do you use on your server?

At my current job, Trend Micro. At my last job, McAfee. At the job before that, Symantec. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

Usually stick with 1 vendor for all AV needs.
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    If it says Windows 2008 x64 it should work on R2. I know some companies will list it just as x64 to cover both W28k x64 and R2.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I am not sure if that will work on Server 2008 R2 x64. It does not say R2; it stated that it is compatible with Windows Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit.
    I was chatting with the sale rep and he said that it is compatible with 2008 R2, but I don't know. I trust you guys more than any sales reps.

From their site they list: Windows Small Business Server 2011 (64-bit) which is based on 2008 R2. Generally if something says that it supports 2008 64-bit it is inclusive of R2 as well. I believe they added support somewhere in the v11 line though I don't remember what exact point.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    We use Microsoft's own ForeFront.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Symantec v12 definitely works on 2008 R2.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use AVG for all of our clients and ourselves. No antivirus is without its problems ("six of one, half a dozen of another" is a good cliche here), including AVG, but overall I've found it to be one of the better products. Trend is also making a decent product, and the enterprise version of McAfee is not bad. Symantec is pretty terrible overall, and I have to recommend avoiding Symantec at all costs. It's problems are worse than the other vendors' in my experience, its features are less reliable, and its actual detection rate is actually fairly poor. I've used Avast at home for a while, and I like it, but I can't say one way or the other whether it's a good server choice.

And almost any current product is going to work on R2. Windows Server 2008 x64 has been out for about four years, Vista x64 has been out for almost six, and anything that works on either willl work on 2008 R2.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I just downloaded the trial version of Symantec Endpoint v12, and during the installation, I am getting Error 1920.
    I am using the Administrator account.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We use ESET NOD32 at work.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I just downloaded the trial version of Symantec Endpoint v12, and during the installation, I am getting Error 1920.
    I am using the Administrator account.
    It sounds like either a permissions issue, or perhaps you have some other antivirus installed already? It could also be files left over from an old install, if you've already uninstalled the old version or the other AV software.

Here are a couple of links to look at from Symantec, that may offer a fix:

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We use FEP.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    @Slowhand,
    The server does not have an anti-virus at all. As far as I know, this is going to be the first one.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We use Symantec and have no problems with it but Trend and the others are good choices too. Part of it depends on what level of enterprise management you need. There is a difference on the management end between a singe server install (or 5 servers and 20 workstations) and 4000 servers and 50000 workstations.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management