B.S. vs M.S.

LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

I recently graduated with a couple of B.A's in the humanities from my local university. After graduation, I somehow got a job in it based on my knowledge of computers (with nothing to prove it). I am now enrolled online through the local community college and almost done with an A.A.S in networking.

My question is this: should I go after a B.S. in network admin or a higher level M.S. in info sec from WGU? I technically quality for a MS since I have a bachelors but not IT Related. Would one be a wiser move than the other?
In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Lenniusce wrote: »
    Hello,

I recently graduated with a couple of B.A's in the humanities from my local university. After graduation, I somehow got a job in it based on my knowledge of computers (with nothing to prove it). I am now enrolled online through the local community college and almost done with an A.A.S in networking.

My question is this: should I go after a B.S. in network admin or a higher level M.S. in info sec from WGU? I technically quality for a MS since I have a bachelors but not IT Related. Would one be a wiser move than the other?

1. This might have been better in the "Jobs and Degrees" thread.
    2. Did you verify that your B.A. would be accepted?
    3. Of course a Master's is better than a Bachelor's, especially if you already have two of them.

My only worry is that your foundational knowledge might be a bit weak, so not sure if you'd be ready to attempt the Master's. Not that the program will be particularly challenging, just worried you'll have some gaps in your knowledge, and not sure how you'd fill them in.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    instant000 wrote: »
    1. This might have been better in the "Jobs and Degrees" thread.
    2. Did you verify that your B.A. would be accepted?
    3. Of course a Master's is better than a Bachelor's, especially if you already have two of them.

My only worry is that your foundational knowledge might be a bit weak, so not sure if you'd be ready to attempt the Master's. Not that the program will be particularly challenging, just worried you'll have some gaps in your knowledge, and not sure how you'd fill them in.

I'm thinking pursuing, or at least reading CCNA material would help significantly. After that maybe he can consider going after a MS if he really feels that he needs to.
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats my concern, the foundational knowledge. So do you think the A.A.S. would not be enough foundation?
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think it all depends what your goals are. What do you want to do for a living. Can you achieve that with a Bachelors degree or do you need a Masters degree. What we mean by a foundation level is amount of training/experience/knowledge you have in a particular skill. For example an A.A.S. in Networking is a good foundation for going after a B.S. in Networking. It may not be enough for the Masters in Networking as you would lack knowledge in some of the concepts that are covered. Not to say you couldn't pick them up as you go, but you will find it more challenging and the knowledge you get may be reduced due to your limited exposure to the concepts being taught.

Just my .02¢
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    azjag wrote: »
    I think it all depends what your goals are. What do you want to do for a living. Can you achieve that with a Bachelors degree or do you need a Masters degree. What we mean by a foundation level is amount of training/experience/knowledge you have in a particular skill. For example an A.A.S. in Networking is a good foundation for going after a B.S. in Networking. It may not be enough for the Masters in Networking as you would lack knowledge in some of the concepts that are covered. Not to say you couldn't pick them up as you go, but you will find it more challenging and the knowledge you get may be reduced due to your limited exposure to the concepts being taught.

Just my .02¢

Ah, I didn't realize he had an AAS in Networking. My fault for not reading more closely.

It really all depends on what you want to do. You can do just fine in IT without a BS in anything IT related. A CCNA plus your current BS degrees would be plenty to start you out on a successful career in IT.