Options

Reviewing A+ Again

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE!

I am planning looking to get a Help Desk or Desktop Support role in a month or so and I will be going through the A+ material once more, so I can be techinically sound with the info. Would you guys suggest that I focus on the terms/concept by reading the flash cards or do the hands-on at home?

Also, any advices/suggestions for studying Network+ and Windows 7 material would also be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do one thing at a time. get your A+ then worry about the N+. Go over the A+ objectives and you should be fine. Also professor messer vids are a big help
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, A+ alone won't help you with a job. Skim through the job descriptions you are applying for and create a list. So you might need to learn AD account creation, Exchange mailboxes, Outlook, Excel Macros etc. All pretty common for those sorts of jobs.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Well, A+ alone won't help you with a job.
    I couldn't disagree more. This is simply false. A+ alone is enough for recruiters and job sites to start getting you gigs and job interviews. I would know, since I started my first job with an A+, no experience, and no high-school diploma. I continued to interview for other jobs and get offers before I ever passed my first MS test or got Net+.

Conversely, Net+ is more valuable cert, but unlikely to get you your first job on its own. Both together are very attractive for an entry-level position. I was able to pass A+, Network+, and Security+ with Exam Cram books alone, but I have seen others on this site recommend different material. I am not a big fan of videos, but that is more of a personal preference. Flash cards and practice questions are both a great way to test your knowledge (or memory) and learn. Every cert I have I used a book and practice exams, but with a couple I did use flash cards.

Get A+, then start immediately studying for Net+. I will agree with Danial333's recommendation to hone basic skills with common Microsoft product lines. Learning how to work with user accounts in AD, the Office product lines, and the major Windows OSs (XP through 7) is important regardless of your certifications. However, your first helpdesk or DST job scope may very, so the key is presenting your skills accurately and effectively in your resume and interview and being prepared to quickly learn new skills as will inevitably be needed in your first job.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks pruspeter, but I already possess those certs. (A+,N+ & W7). I just need to know what topics should I understand completely for my next work.

Thanks ptilsen, but how is N+ a vaulable cert? And common MS products meaning Office, Exchange, AD, etc.? I have just a total of nine months (I know not much) of HD/DST experience is that helpful in a way?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ah, I think we all misunderstood your question, or at least I did. There is probably nothing on any of those certifications you truly need to review prior to landing your next job. There is no need to re-study for certifications you already have. You should be studying for something new, probably 70-640 or 70-742.

Network+ to me demonstrates a high skill level and good understanding of how networks work. A+ more demonstrates basic hardware/software troubleshooting.

Nine months of experience is a lot better than nothing. That should help you get a job and help you once you do get that job. I would say be prepared to use and describe your hardware and software troubleshooting skills and your specific MS skills, eg Windows 7, AD, Exchange, Office.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340