Options

The Word & Brown

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
Does anybody work or knows anything about The Word & Brown company? They want to schedule for a phone interview.

Comments

• Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    small world used to work for them. not in IT as this was a couple years ago. They have a central office in orange, ca and some branch offices spread around in CA. they were expanding to nevada at the time i left. They are the "middle man" for health insurance brokers. What kind of info are you looking for?
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I actually interviewed for an IT position with them at the Orange office before. What info are you looking for?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    mayhem87 wrote: »
    small world used to work for them. not in IT as this was a couple years ago. They have a central office in orange, ca and some branch offices spread around in CA. they were expanding to nevada at the time i left. They are the "middle man" for health insurance brokers. What kind of info are you looking for?
    what do you think of the company? The job is at orange,ca. Is the company stable ? Is it micro manage?
  • Options
    I actually interviewed for an IT position with them at the Orange office before. What info are you looking for?
    Im guessing you didnt get the job or you put down the offer. What do you think about the company and the interview? Is this company stable?
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Im guessing you didnt get the job or you put down the offer. What do you think about the company and the interview? Is this company stable?

The company is benefits and insurance related, so as this market goes, so does the company. The person's I interviewed with (keep in mind the interview was about 5 years ago) seemed like they were looking for a very particular type of person. The salary range wasn't impressive, and they seemed to want A LOT of knowledge for a halfway decent wage.

They have been around for a good amount of time, so yes, I would think this company is stable. If you can get a good wage, I would think it would be a good opportunity. As with all interviews, I would ask a lot of questions, and get a good feel for your direct supervisor, as mine was not that cool (this is not a short impression, as my interview lasted for close to 2.5 hours).

Hope this helps and best of luck! What area are you in? Which branch are you interviewing with?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think working in the IT department you might be pretty stable. They really are 3 companies Word & Brown which is a General agency that helps health insurance brokers sell. This is what the company was found on and are doing well however I heard that their Nevada presence wasn't in the best standing when I left.

Then there is CalChoice which is where they acted like the insurance companies themselves. Basically groups would get a plan through them and through that plan they could choose almost all the carriers in CA. This part of the company did well when it started and used to have low rates however now the rates sky rocketed and is doing very poorly. They did have some lay offs on that side of the house.

Finally you have Conexis which is a 3rd party cobra administrator and is doing fairly well. Was actually making the most money for the company I believe. Under Conexis they also bought out a big call center in TX and shipped some of those guys there.

They have been around for a long time and are ranked either #1 or #2 general agency in CA. They used to occupy 2 buildings that were right next to each other in orange however I do believe they were trying to just move into the one 8 story building. The buildings were shared with some other companies at the time. The company was a fun company to work for. They were starting to crack down in my department when I left however the IT guys always seemed to have fun. They were located on their own floor. The head of the IT dept seemed kinda like a a hole but only met him one time and that was for a project. The rest of the guys were pretty cool and one of the managers used to hold parties at his house for the dept. You might see either John or Rusty walking around as they are the owners and pretty relaxed guys. Both have smokin hot daughters who also work for the company.