Options

WHS or...

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hi all,

I'm looking for a home server solution. Mainly what im looking for is to be able to back up data from the numerous computers that I own, and centralize them, so I can use the files (e.x. training videos, ect) from other locations. The ability to use the sever as a VPN for my portable devices is a nice touch of interest. While WHS is my first choice, being the well known option, the lack of it being in any retail stores that ive been to (walmart at this point) and no download option without a MS membership, well, yeah. in addition, im currently running the computer with W7 and a 160 GB HDD, (1)1 TB, and (1)2 TB HDD for storage/backup. Well WHS requires a 160GB hdd for install it appears, and im sure that there will be required updates. (im not sure if its a 160GB install, but the requirements im seeing say a 160 GB drive; which is weird, they usually say a .. gig drive with ..GB free...)

the other option I have come across at this point is Amahi Home Server, a linux based free alternative. It sounds great except, the reviews I have read at this point say that installation is not streamlined, and I am a little concerned with i being based on older linux versions, i.e older versions of Fedora, isnt that a big security risk for a system that will be exposed to the internet? AAlso, I hear it runs as a DHCP server, I have some concerns about that, but I can try that out and see what happens.

Any1 have suggestions, impressions or reviews of either?

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I do like Microsoft products, so of course I would say WHS. However from what it sounds like, all you need is central file storage and VPN access???

If that's all you need, why not try something along the lines of a router that supports USB? Eg the Linksys E3000 or even the Linksys E4200.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would just setup a centos box and setup samba shares for PC's to backup to. SSH makes an easy VPN alternative (that is if you have an ssh client for your portable devices.)
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ubuntu or CentOS server .. as previously said, Samba to share your files, and for VPN , you can use OpenVPN (free). For a simple setup solution, you can use OpenVPN-AS (access server).

and all of this is ... FREE! :)
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NewManSoon wrote: »
    Ubuntu or CentOS server .. as previously said, Samba to share your files, and for VPN , you can use OpenVPN (free). For a simple setup solution, you can use OpenVPN-AS (access server).

and all of this is ... FREE! :)

The thing about OpenVPN-AS though is that you have to pay for licenses if you plan to have more than 2 simultaneous client connections, although it's not a big deal if it's just for personal use.
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    The thing about OpenVPN-AS though is that you have to pay for licenses if you plan to have more than 2 simultaneous client connections, although it's not a big deal if it's just for personal use.

Correct, or you can setup plain old OpenVPN and not have the nice gui , but unlimited licenses :)
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, Amahi includes OpenVPN in some form, I havent tested it yet, I need to get a VPN client for my windows hosts. They offer one of course, but IDK...

Overall, I like amahi, built on Fedora, which I am familiar with, my concerns at this point are updates possibly breaking things, and getting this second hard drive mounted... :p