Options

Just a quick question.

QuietOneQuietOne Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I booked my 220-701 exam as I am feeling confident with that one but what I want to know is, for the 702 is it worth having a little home lab? I was thinking of getting VMWare player of some sort and having three virtual machines, Windows 2000 pro, Windows XP and Windows Vista.

I think for me, hands on experience and messing with stuff is probably the best way to absorb information and/or troubleshooting.

What are your thoughts and what other ways do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Yes. A lab is useful and using some type of virtualization is best so that you can use a single computer. With the heavy coverage of the Windows topics I can't see how someone can fully grasp all the material without using Windows. The only thing I would add is Windows 7 and focus less on Windows 2000. Many of the current objectives have added Windows 7.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention in my previous post that my current system is Windows 7 which I use on a daily basis and familiarising myself with system monitoring etc. I haven't installed a virtual 2000 system so I will leave that one. Thanks again, Darril.
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I still think knowing the older operating systems is important, simply because if you don't use it often, you won't be comfortable with them. CompTIA will def throw a few questions in there that could make you uncomfortable in answering them. Good luck on your exam either way. 701 should be a straight forward exam.
  • Options
    Thanks charlesc09, I have two VM's set up, I have Windows 2000 handy so I can easily create a VM with 2000. looking through other certs, A+ seems like childs play compared to others that are out there.
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's quite a bit to study for A+, but the material itself isn't more difficult compare to the other certs. I have actually spend more time studying for A+ than Network+. But if you have desktop/support experience before, you could prob get over A+ in a much shorter time.

For the most part, they don't really ask too much advance stuff with windows configuration. Just know a bit of difference between them is good enough.

Windows XP stores their personal documents
    C:\Windows\Document and Settings

while Vista/Windows 7 is under:
    C:\Users

Windows 2000 have unique things like ERD (Emergency Repair Disk)
    Windows XP uses Automated System Recovery (ASR)

NT Backup for 2000/XP

Windows 7 has a windows easy transfer tool. The older versions being Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, and User State Migration Tool
    A different recovery option for vista/7 compare with 2000/XP
  • Options
    cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There were quite a few Windows 7 questions on my A+ exam, so I wouldn't discount it. The biggest problem is that Microsoft (being Microsoft) renamed some of their tools from Vista to 7, despite them being the same at the core. The worse part of the exams for me were answering the questions that ask you where the tools are. I usually never access the tools normally and when I do its because I'm not on my machine. Its not that I don't know where the tools are, but the exam will ASK you specifically in what order to access a tool. For instance, I've always right-clicked my computer and clicked on 'manage' every time I want to access the Device Manager, Disk Management, or other snap-ins that are built-in the Computer Management mmc since Windows XP. However, the exam will ask you which category its under in the Control Panel (Users, System, etc.), which is a problem because I'm sure for all the tech people out there, when you click on Control Panel in Vista/7, the very first time that screen comes up we choose 'Show Small/Big Icons', and that screen never appears again which causes us to never learn the categories (because their dumb and waste of a click). But that is what I was confronted with on the exams and cost me a couple questions.