Options

A member from the UK looking to get into the IT industry

QuietOneQuietOne Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there, I am from Surrey and I am currently doing a CompTIA A+ certification. I currently have two jobs, motor trade and an evening job in the bookies. I have been in the motor trade for about 7 years and the bookies just over 3 years. I always wanted to get into IT since I was around 14.

What I want to know is, is it better to get some certifications before looking for new careers or look while I'm in the process of getting them? I know experience is a key factor when it comes getting new jobs but it's kind of a catch 22 because 15 years experience on your home PC and repairing friends' computers probably won't cut it. At the moment, I don't care what kind of IT job I get. I just want to get my foot in the door, I don't mind long hours either as I currently have 2 jobs which I've had for just over three years.

So is there any way of getting into the industry? Also how would I go about creating a resume/CV for a person who hasn't really done anything in an IT field?

I probably have other questions but I can't remember them now, I'll post if I remember. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MiskiMiski Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Quiet,

Fellow Brit here icon_cheers.gif
    I'm not sure what the job market is like in Surrey so I can't say how hard/easy it may be for you to get your foot in the door. (Tho you should be able to commute to London)
    I was in a similar position to you a year ago. I had no IT experience outside of my own home hobbies and interests however with a few certificates and selling my Non IT skills such as my customer service (which I did have experience in). I was able to get a 1st line position which has now progressed more into DCS.

I would suggest volunteering (if possible). London has a number of pretty good volunteer opportunities which helped pad out my CV and honestly it was a delight helping others learn.
    I'd be happy to help in anyway I can, feel free to PM me :)
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    QuietOne wrote: »
    ...What I want to know is, is it better to get some certifications before looking for new careers or look while I'm in the process of getting them?...

Better is one of those fuzzy terms, keep on applying now. If you get a job before you gain the A+, then that is better. If you get a job afterwards, well that's your answer. However you won't get anywhere if you don't apply.
    ...I know experience is a key factor when it comes getting new jobs but it's kind of a catch 22 because 15 years experience on your home PC and repairing friends' computers probably won't cut it...

That's all the experience I had when I got my first IT job. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    ...At the moment, I don't care what kind of IT job I get. I just want to get my foot in the door, I don't mind long hours either as I currently have 2 jobs which I've had for just over three years...

That just shows that you're hard working :)
    ...So is there any way of getting into the industry? Also how would I go about creating a resume/CV for a person who hasn't really done anything in an IT field?...

1. Keep on applying for every entry level job out there.
    2. See if you can get someone to look over your CV, perhaps another couple of eyes over your CV will improve it.
    3. Gain your A+
    4. Network with other IT Professionals via clubs, forums (eg linkedin), or even professional associations (like the BCS or the IET)
    5. I would say try to voluteer, however working two jobs I know that there's very little time spare.
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Another brit here !

Where I live there is very limited opportunities with IT work, I have a degree in Software engineering, CCNA, CCPN in progress, can program in pretty much any language you can throw at me, work with servers all day(Physical and virtual) in a 2003/2008 domain (for 7 years), deal with all the networking, do user support and still can't even get an interview at the very limited amount of IT jobs.

Bottom line .... it depends on work in your area, but getting certs can only help.

good luck !
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    Where in Surrey are you?
    I'd recommend finishing you A+ then look at starting either Microsoft or Cisco exams.
    I can give you a hand with your CV if you like (based on what we look for when reviewing CV's at work)